A cautionary note to Ccleaner users

Reaction score
Since this issue is not confined to my computer as someone else is having the same issue, I figure I should post this.

I have been using Ccleaner to remove Windows.old since Win 8/8.1, including Insider Preview.There was never any ill effect using Ccleaner UNTIL build 10166.
After running Ccleaner, my Store will not open.
Subsequently, the following apps also will not open.......
Xbox, Calendar, Movie & TV, Get Office, Microsoft Solitaire.
I ran sfc and wsreset. None helped.

Luckily I have this routine of creating a system image backup each time after a new os is installed and is running correctly.
So, I restored my system using the image backup file.
Otherwise I would have to reinstall 10162 then update back to 10166.

No, I did not change any settings, nor mess around with the registry, nor install any shaddy programs.
The issue I described happened within 24 hours after 10166 was installed. I could not have done such damage in such a short period of time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for this note. I run ccleaner on my main W7 box., I'll remove it when W10 comes along in August. I bet there will be a W10 compatible version by then. System Mechanic is already offering a W10 version

Reaction score
You have tempted me. I am going for it now. I presume you did use the latest 5.07?

I don't bother too much with images unless I have been checking through some of my software. Easier to reinstall.

P.S. Later. OK. Ran it twice, to be sure. No problems with the items you mentioned.

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Damn...I never knew you could remove that windows.old folder with Ccleaner.....I too will give it a try and report back.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Damn Damn....it removed it alright ...but like davidhk129 my Store app and Calendar app doesn't work, but only those 2 the rest of my apps work.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Upon further investigation......Mail and Phone companion apps don't work either. So I have a total of 4 apps not working since the subsequent use of Ccleaner to remove the infamous windows.old folder. Not that I use them anyway......so no biggy for me.

Reaction score
Since restoring from my system image backup file, I have left windows.old alone, and UN-check the box "Old Windows Installation" from Ccleaner.
After 30 days, windows.old will be removed automatically anyway.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
After using Ccleaner to remove the windows.old folder, going back to Ccleaner that option to check or uncheck that box is gone, the entire entry of the windows.old folder is gone. So what gives?

Reaction score
I have not made myself clear.
When I first created system image backup, nothing was removed from the system. It was exactly the way a new install was supposed to be.
So, After restoring to normal with image backup file, windows.old is back where it was supposed to be.
Therefore, Ccleaner has that Old Windows Installtion entry under Advanced.

If windows.old has already been removed, that entry will not appear.

In short, Ccleaner shows the Old Windows Installation entry ONLY if windows.old is still present.

Reaction score
Ccleaner version number.jpg

Reaction score
I see you have the 32bit installation? I don't know if that could cause any of your problems.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
There isn't a choice.
Ccleaner detected a 32-bit OS and therefore offered a 32-bit version. It's automatic.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Not me...I'm running 64 bit....

Also to correct my issue, I tried the windows 10 Reset option just to see what it involves, the time it takes to complete, what are the after effects of doing it. After the Reset of OS, all apps work correctly....but I had to reinstall all my mobo drivers and all my software, which wasn't much (thankfully). I did not have to reinsert OS key, and all my personal files were intact and functional. Then I just went down my downloads folder list and installed everything 1 by 1. Now steam and all my games is another matter....holy hell.

NAL

Reaction score
Why not use the built-in Windows Disk Cleanup Utility? Right click on the Local Drive -> Properties-> Disk Cleanup-> Cleanup System Files-> check appropriate boxes.
Works great and doesn't break anything as far as I can see.
Good luck.

Reaction score
That is what I mean - you are running a 32bit OS!

To davehc,
I fail to see the relevancy.
Besides, I had no trouble using Ccleaner on all of the previous builds, except this one.

To bassfisher,
Another thing I have found out AFTER removing windows.old is that there is no more $Windows.~BT any more, and therefore, no Sources, no Install.esd, etc etc etc.
Can you confirm that ?

Reaction score
Why not use the built-in Windows Disk Cleanup Utility? Right click on the Local Drive -> Properties-> Disk Cleanup-> Cleanup System Files-> check appropriate boxes.
Works great and doesn't break anything as far as I can see.
Good luck.

Question :
You claim that with personal experience of the fact, or assumption ?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Ask a Question