A cautionary note to Ccleaner users

Reaction score
The Disk clean up facility works 100%. It does remove the Win.old folder also. It can also be found in the "All Apps" - Windows Administration folder.
If you right click it, and then run as Administrator, , it will offer several more items for removing. It is your choice as to what you wish to remove, through tick boxes. Be sure, if you wish to use it later, that you unselect the option to remove system files.etc, or you will lose the Win.old., as said.
That is, as with NAL, personal experience. It is also well publicised on MS and third party sites.

davidhk. The "relevancy" is that CCleaner (32), in the latest OS build, may have some inconsistencies that the 64 bit model does not have. It was just a suggestion as to the number of problems you appear to be having. If you consider it irrelevant then forget my comment.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Disk clean up facility works 100%. It does remove the Win.old folder also. It can also be found in the "All Apps" - Windows Administration folder.
If you right click it, and then run as Administrator, , it will offer several more items for removing. It is your choice as to what you wish to remove, through tick boxes. Be sure, if you wish to use it later, that you unselect the option to remove system files.etc, or you will lose the Win.old., as said.
That is, as with NAL, personal experience. It is also well publicised on MS and third party sites.

davidhk. The "relevancy" is that CCleaner (32), in the latest OS build, may have some inconsistencies that the 64 bit model does not have. It was just a suggestion as to the number of problems you appear to be having. If you consider it irrelevant then forget my comment.

If my last reply appears to be disrespectful, I apologize.. It is not my intention.
I just find it hard to understand that after using Ccleaner on all the Insider Preview builds without an issue, suddenly its bit-version has become questionable.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
To bassfisher,
Another thing I have found out AFTER removing windows.old is that there is no more $Windows.~BT any more, and therefore, no Sources, no Install.esd, etc etc etc.
Can you confirm that ?

I didn't even look before I went with the "Reset" ....Crap, probably should have checked.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
after the Reset I checked; I have the $Windows.~BT folder and a new one named $SysRest which I didn't see before.

Ask a Question