A Few Issues Regarding Windows 10

Reaction score
Ever since updating my OS from 8.1 to 10, I have encountered several issues that I never experienced befroe the update. Although I love WIndows 10 these things can become quite annoying at times, and althougth I have tried to fix them myself I have found no solution. If anyone could provide any advice on any of these problems it would be appreciated!

1 - Login Troubles
When I initialy type in my password to log in, most times it goes smoothly. However, occasionaly after entering my password it will be stuck at "Welcome" with the loading bar for quite some time, (10-20 mins) after which it will either restart at the original image when you turn your computer on, or display an error along the lines of "Group Policy Cleint Serivice is unavailable" and return to the login screen. This can get quite annoying as it happens about 20% of the time and it will continue to do this until I restart my computer and try again.

2 - File Explorer Rarely Works
Like at all. I can launch File Explorer fine, but when I try to navigate to a directory such as This PC or OS its will load forever. It has the loading bar on top but it never finishes, if you wait about 20 minutes it will finaly just crash (file explorer closes and my desktop goes black for a few moments before returning to an empty desktop) or it will actualy load the directory, but if you access something else the problem will repeat itself. If you try to cancel the search it will crash as described before. It simply won't load anything, even if a folder is empty. This is likewise when trying to search for something using file explorer. This issue is incrediably annoying and somethimes it does work but this is quite rare.

3 - Chrome Will Not Open
Again, sometimes it will open but this is quite rare. Most of the time when I launch it from the desktop, it will do nothing. Microsoft Edge instantly runs, but Chrome rarely does. This could be an issue exclusive to Chrome itself but I have tried reinstalling it and it did not work, and this problem came after the update to Windows 10.

4 - Windows Store Never Works
Again, this came after the update. Whenever I try to download an app on the Windows store, it will download all the way but then stay at 'instaling" and never actualy install. This is quite fustrating as this means I can't download any app from the windows store, they never install. It does work if you download it from online, but some apps are only downloadable from the Windows Store or Microsoft Edge doesnt support the download. This significantly puts limits on what I can do on my PC and I have no idea how to resolve it.

5 - Mail App Crashes
Now this one is quite minor, but still annoying. The default windows mail app crashes everytime I launch it. I can of course just access my email online but this adds a level of work that shouldn't be nessary. The main problem I have is that every so often I will recive the nonification "Account Setting are Out of Date" from the app, and of course I can't turn these off or update my account information becuase the app crashes everytime. Once, these nonifications became very fequent at about every 5 minutes, and I have no way of disabling these annoying surprises (my nonification sound seems to be quite loud compared to everything else on my computer).

Anyway, if anyone is expereincing these problems or might know how to fix them, please infrom me as they are becoming quite an annoyance.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Connor,

Welcome to the forum.

With the Anniversary update about to be rolled out I am a little reluctant to get you making too many corrections as these issues you are experiencing may resolve themselves with that update.

Windows 10 comes with Universal apps and these require your Group Policy Client Service to be running for them to function correctly. Given you are experiencing logon issues and 20% of time the Group Policy issue that more than likely is the reason your Windows Store and Mail apps are giving you trouble.

Chrome has an automatic updater with it and that too needs the Group Policy Client Service so there may be a connection there.

Have you had any significant BSOD's or other errors pop up? Have you installed third party programs and then removed them? What Security software are you using? Does your Windows Updates download and install fine?

Also, are you using Windows 10 Home, or Professional? How many User Accounts have you set up?

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question