SOLVED Account picture disappeared from splash/welcome after Anniversary update

Reaction score
I had no problem with the update but my account picture is gone from the splash/welcome. When I go to account settings its there and I even 'browsed' for and selected it again but still nothing on the splash/welcome screen. Anyone know how to get to appear again? Thanks

FYI....I disabled the Win 10 login requirement months ago as I am the only one with access.

Reaction score
I don't have the Anniversary update yet but I have my login disabled too, so I'll be watching this thread. Just a thought: once you pulled up your account settings, did you try clicking the "Manage my Microsoft account" link above your picture? If you do, a web page opens with your MS account information, including your picture. If you click on that picture, you should be able to change & save it. Maybe this action will propagate to your splash screen.

Good luck!

Reaction score
I updated to the Anniversary Update and noticed the same behavior on my system. My account picture no longer appears on the welcome screen. My idea for changing the picture on my Microsoft account page didn't fix it either.

Oh well.

Reaction score
I don't have the Anniversary update yet but I have my login disabled too, so I'll be watching this thread. Just a thought: once you pulled up your account settings, did you try clicking the "Manage my Microsoft account" link above your picture? If you do, a web page opens with your MS account information, including your picture. If you click on that picture, you should be able to change & save it. Maybe this action will propagate to your splash screen.

Good luck!
Thanks and tried that but didn't work

Reaction score
I updated to the Anniversary Update and noticed the same behavior on my system. My account picture no longer appears on the welcome screen. My idea for changing the picture on my Microsoft account page didn't fix it either.

Oh well.
I have tried several methods and still can't get my account picture to show up on welcome screen like it did before the update

Reaction score
I tried the following but was NOT successful:
Start > click on my account > click "Sign out"
I signed back in, then I shut down the computer

When I powered back up, I had to click a CONTINUE button. This showed the lock screen with 2 icon/pictures in the lower left. Both had my name next to them, one with my picture and one with the generic head & shoulders icon. I clicked on the one with my picture and had to enter my password.

Login proceeded just fine but I had to go through this process after each computer off/on cycle. How annoying!

The fix was to go back to the NETPLWIZ routine again and set up the computer to disable the Windows login requirement. Now it's back to where it was; boot without login but also without my account picture - just the generic icon.

What I learned: Clicking "Sign out" kills the NETPLWIZ login override setting but DOES produce your picture on the lock screen. You can't have both since the Windows 10 update. It's probably a security thing.

Reaction score
I disabled the log in/password requirement without using NETPLWIZ. I used Win 10 sign in options in settings. The setting is to not have to sign on whenever the pc comes 'back' from sleep,etc. I turn mine off at the end of the day so maybe thats why it works for me without NETPLWIZ.

After the Anniversary Update the log in screen flashes nanosecond briefly when I boot up and goes directly to the welcome screen where the 'default' avatar is and still can't get my image on there....guess I will just have to live without it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My same picture is showing on multiple computers. I have it set to my MS account. I did create local account before and I had to set it on that PC as it didn't share like using the MS account does.

Reaction score
My same picture is showing on multiple computers. I have it set to my MS account. I did create local account before and I had to set it on that PC as it didn't share like using the MS account does.
I thought about that but was afraid to try a local account since I am having brain cramp as to how I set WIn 10 account up in the first place and I don't want to screw it up. I only have one computer to deal with. When I go to the local account set up it wants my Win account password right up front. I don't want this to create/ revert back to having to use the sign in window.....!

Reaction score
After the Anniversary Update the log in screen flashes nanosecond briefly when I boot up and goes directly to the welcome screen where the 'default' avatar is and still can't get my image on there....guess I will just have to live without it.
The NETPLWIZ method of disabling login was how I learned to do it, but using the Win10 sign-in settings probably accomplishes the same thing. I also turn off my computer at the end of the day and see the same boot up behavior.

From what I see, it's only a cosmetic bug. I guess I'll watch this thread for other ideas.

Reaction score
An update was installed yesterday (14393.187) and now my account picture is showing up on the splash/welcome screen again.

Reaction score
An update was installed yesterday (14393.187) and now my account picture is showing up on the splash/welcome screen again.
Did you have to do anything like select a picture again to make this work. I didn't look as my pc booted this morning so not sure if things are back to 'normal'...thanks

Reaction score
I thought about that but was afraid to try a local account since I am having brain cramp as to how I set WIn 10 account up in the first place and I don't want to screw it up. I only have one computer to deal with. When I go to the local account set up it wants my Win account password right up front. I don't want this to create/ revert back to having to use the sign in window.....!

Well a Local account is one you set on a single computer and none of the configuration is shared with another windows device. A Windows account is set up on Microsoft's website. The account can act as your Outlook.com login also. Another advantage with the Windows 10 anniversary update if you make hardware changes to your machine they let linked to your account. Previously when you did clean Windows installs after hardware changes you had to call MS to successfully activate Windows 10 clean install. Do you use One Drive or the MS Store? It uses a MS account to login to your account. You can login to Windows 10 with a local account and login to OD and the store but you will have to use a MS account for OD and the store. You can also access One Drive on Android or Apple phone to share files is needed.

Reaction score
Did you have to do anything like select a picture again to make this work. I didn't look as my pc booted this morning so not sure if things are back to 'normal'...thanks
I didn't change anything. I just happened to notice that it booted with the picture that had been there in the past. Maybe it was a fluke today and if it goes back to booting with the generic icon, I'll post again.

Reaction score
I would just go to the setting and add the picture again and see how that goes.

Reaction score
Well a Local account is one you set on a single computer and none of the configuration is shared with another windows device. A Windows account is set up on Microsoft's website. The account can act as your Outlook.com login also. Another advantage with the Windows 10 anniversary update if you make hardware changes to your machine they let linked to your account. Previously when you did clean Windows installs after hardware changes you had to call MS to successfully activate Windows 10 clean install. Do you use One Drive or the MS Store? It uses a MS account to login to your account. You can login to Windows 10 with a local account and login to OD and the store but you will have to use a MS account for OD and the store. You can also access One Drive on Android or Apple phone to share files is needed.

Thank you! I only have one Windows device and have not made any changes to hardware since I got the new pc with Win 10 loaded last April.

I use Outlook 2010 as my email client but I don't use Outlook.com. I don't use MS Store nor One Drive.

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken that update 14393.187 is the Anniversary Update. I have had it since it first came out and thats when my picture disappeared from the welcome screen.

Reaction score
:D:)FOUND the solution. Recent Win 10 security update KB3189866 fixes the acct photo on welcome screen issue. If the update tried to install using Windows Update it is stalling for many users. I looked for it and did not have it so used Win Update and sure enough it stalled at 47%. I found and installed it manually and VOILA.....after a restart my picture is back where it belongs.

Ask a Question