Activation Query

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have searched this and other forums for the answer to my query without success, I can't even get a straight answer from Microsoft - so have decided to post here.

A relative has very recently purchased an HP Stream notebook with Win 10 Home OEM.

This particular model is a stripped-down version with an embedded 32Gb eMMC instead of a hard drive.

Preinstalled with this was all the usual 'bloatware' from HP and others. Having installed the latest Win 10 updates including the November upgrade, along with the necessary anti-virus etc, there is now less than 5 Gb of space on the eMMC.

The machine has already activated online with no problems.

I want to download from Microsoft's site a copy of Win 10 Home, do a clean install getting rid of all the recovery partitions and 'bloatware', update it and then activate it using the original OEM license/product key. Will this work?

Also, there is a single language version of Win 10 Home available to download from Microsoft's site, which presumably would be an even smaller install. Could I use the original OEM license/product key to activate that?

Please only answer this query if you actually know what you're talking about and what you're stating is fact.

Kind Regards,

Fretful

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If Microsoft cannot provide you with an answer.... Perhaps you might consider contacting HP, although I would think that they would be pretty resistant to your plan.
So it would seem that "fact(s), might be pretty hard to come by.
I would suggest that before going forward that you should make a disk image of the current state of the hard drive and all of its' partitions.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
I want to download from Microsoft's site a copy of Win 10 Home, do a clean install getting rid of all the recovery partitions and 'bloatware', update it and then activate it using the original OEM license/product key. Will this work?
Yes.... although it is likely UEFI / GPT so you should make an effort to prepare the installation media appropriately. I recommend Rufus from here http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Rufus.JPG

Also, there is a single language version of Win 10 Home available to download from Microsoft's site, which presumably would be an even smaller install. Could I use the original OEM license/product key to activate that?
No. You need the normal version Windows 10 from the top of the list not single language version at the bottom. We just had another member try to do the same thing and it would not accept the key.
Generally when you attempt a clean install after wiping the drive on a computer that has previously had Windows 10 installed and activated it does not require a product key at all. Worse case it will grab the OEM key from the BIOS.
BUT.....
Do not infer that this is in any way actually fact. It's just based on my personal experience and various sources of anecdotal evidence from members of this forum as well as others.

Reaction score
I've used retail versions to clean install on Laptops and Desktops with OEM versions in the past, so I didn't have to deal with bloatware. I have not tried it with Windows 10 though.

Reaction score
As Trouble sensibly says, when you are unsure about a procedure, ALWAYS have an image of the whole computer stored somewhere.

I have installed a number of Windows 10 OSs on computers, for colleagues, who have had the same complaint regarding bloatware.
There are a couple of programs around that allegedly will do this for you. I would imagine that they still leave a few bits around, such as unwanted drivers..etc.
I di it the hard way I make a fresh install of the original OEM using the key which can usually be found somewhere on the computer. I then allow the updates/upgrade to proceed.
Once it has completed the procedure, I then offer to make a clean install - not really necessary if the upgrade has gone according to plan (?)
It has never failed (so far)

"want to download from Microsoft's site a copy of Win 10 Home, do a clean install getting rid of all the recovery partitions and 'bloatware', update it and then activate it using the original OEM license/product key. Will this work?"
This I have also done, on family computers. Your Windows 10 has been registered successfully, as you have said it is activated, so there should be no further need for a key.
However, be careful with the recover partitions. If one is a "factory restore" partition, it can be a life saver.
Maybe not of importance, for your use, but, with you own added software, 32Gbs could be scratching the bottom. On my own daily computer, I have all the essential programs I use, including the greedy MsOffice. I am using 29Gbs.

P.S. Alan.sh.
Windows .old is not too difficult to get rid of.

Ask a Question