add a name to a partition

Reaction score
My most recent "have-noting-better-to-do" endeavour was to dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 Enterprise.
All went well, except I forgot to give the partition a drive letter and a name.
I managed to add the drive letter (E), that's easy. But I can't find a way to add a name.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can't you just right click the volume in "This PC" and populate the label text box with the name you wish?

Reaction score
Thank you.
Right click > Rename will show the name I wanted in Diskmgmt.
But, in WindowsImageBackup it still uses the name given by the system when I setup the dual boot. That is the name I want to change.

Diskmgmt............
Image 3.jpg

WindowsImageBackup..........
Image 2.jpg

Reaction score
I cant see your clips, but, I think I understand. What you need to do is to allow the os to create a new image. This means deleting the existing one first.
Click on Start button > Control Panel > System and Maintenance> Backup and Restore.
In the left pane, click on "Turn Off Schedule".
Then you will be able to delete (or move) the file.
Then turn on the scheduling again, to allow a new image to be built

Reaction score
Can't see my screenshots ? Really ?
My WindowsImageBackup folder consists of 3 sub-folders....
David-pc which is for Windows 7
t-4-2-pc which is for Win 8.1 Pro
Win-5T1EG07848A which is for Win 10 Enterprise. (That is the one I want to change name to Win10Enterprise.)

...........In the left pane, click on "Turn Off Schedule".........

No such option.
Maybe because I do not schedule backup. In fact, I never backup files because all my files are stored in my ext. hard drive which allows me to just drag/drop files into it whenever I want.
I do system image backup manually, about once a week.

It is not important. I can remember what that folder is for.

Reaction score
Oh. second time around and your pictures have popped up??

It remains a mystery, and I confess I am confused. The partition seems to have a letter and a name Maybe Trouble has another idea. I see no reason why you cannot make a new image including the new name.

Reaction score
I borrowed your idea, went to my ext. hard drive, deleted the Win10 Enterprise system backup, started a new backup. The resulting backup folder is still under that silly name.
Guess I'll live with that ..... until April next year.

Reaction score
Not sure I totally comprehend what is happening but.... Does the partition show up in file explorer? If so can't you right click on it and select rename?

Ask a Question