SOLVED Add ability to edit thread titles

Reaction score
Would be nice, but, I'm not aware of any forum that allows editing the original thread titles.
Who cares about yhe od spelled word, it's a forum not a literacy test.

Reaction score
Actually Ian has allowed editing your own thread titles in the past. It may be an option he hasn't allowed thus far on Windows10forums. Or possibly an option that times out with the ability to edit the comment.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
'm not aware of any forum that allows editing the original thread titles.

There are plenty in fact, but, some forums software have the option to do 2 types of editing, and where threads are concerned you need to edit the main post.

1. quick editing is the equivalent what is currently possible here.
2. full editing, includes thread title

Who cares about yhe od spelled word, it's a forum not a literacy test.
Grunts and growls and smoke signals would also work, though not very effectively. :D lol

Reaction score
If I want to edit the thread title I copy the thread body, delete and thread and paste to new thread title.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@Norton What you suggest could only be done in that sub-forum, but it was already fixed.

Or possibly an option that times out with the ability to edit the comment.
Not that Im aware, that sub-forum is somewhat more laxed and I couldn't see any way to edit the title, maybe the possibility is only available to mods and staffers, maybe it use to be like you say.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
It's allowed but there is a time limit set. Once past that time limit.....your SOL. No...I don't know what that time limit is set for.

Although, I think mods can and definitely Admins can.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Generally speaeking, the thread title should be editable for 2 hours after posting, although mods/admins can change it on request. When we've had longer timeouts, it has cause quite a few unexpected problems - spammers editing things in to posts, members editing information out of old posts, one member on another site even deleted all of the content in his posts.

However, anything in the user contributed article section should have unlimited edit times (including titles). If you click on "edit" then "more options", are you able to edit the title then? You may need to use Edge to do this, as Chrome has an XSS bug that happens when trying to use that method.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Ah thanks for that titbit. Sadly I dont use Edge, it doesn't meet my needs, Firefox seems to suffer from that bug. Do you know if that has been reported?

I'm well aware of the burden/risks of managing online communities, I guess being limited in some cases is a small price to pay for the larger benefit of the community, I'm just not used to limitations :D

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, it's been reported and there's some discussion as to where the fix lies - the forum software developers suggest that this isn't a valid XSS case, but the browser developers think it is. I suspect a full fix will follow shortly, either way.

If you CTRL + Click the "more options" text, it may open up the page in a new window and work that way.

Reaction score
I believe the time outs or the inability to edit thread titles is there, in the main, for spammers. A spammer on forums like this with ill intent could cause some serious damage to members PCs

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
could cause some serious damage to members PCs

That sound like FUD to me, please give me a valid example how you can screw up your PC by editing a thread title?
I always think such claims must be backed up by some evidence rather than personal opinions. Especially if there is a point to be made, which escapes me.

Regedit32

Reaction score
That sound like FUD to me, please give me a valid example how you can screw up your PC by editing a thread title?

I'm not aware of any instances here or elsewhere, however I imagine if someone wanted to manipulate an inexperienced User they could edit a Title to make it appear what follows is important enough to follow without checking what follows is sound, or safe to do.

I'm not sure though taking a partial sentence from Norton is not just taking his thought out of context though Data.

What Norton actually said was, 'A spammer on forums like this with ill intent could cause some serious damage to members PCs' [Emphasis mine]. 'Could cause' is not the same as saying 'did cause', and clearly in my mind it is accurate to claim Spammers with malicious intent can cause damage for others, who with lack of experience, click on and/or follow instructions from a Spam posting.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I dont subscribe to tinfoil hat recruitment, which is how it comes across.

Yes, someone malicious could do many things and cause much damage, thats always a possibility with anything technology related.

IMO @Ian explained the issue rather well without instilling some kind of Fear Uncertainty and doubt.

Anyway... No harm done.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
We've had a couple of problems before implementing edit timeouts on the W7 forum, which could indeed cause problems. In some, a member posts an explanation or guide type post with a link to a trusted download. After getting replies from other members, they then change the download link to one that contains malware (often an installed bundled with adware).

The other type of post is where someone asks a genuine sounding question, waits for it to disappear off the recent threads list, then edits the title and post content to contain spam for popular searches (tech support numbers, e-mail login pages, etc...).

Now that we've removed the ability to edit beyond a certain time limit, it's put a stop to 99% of those cases. We still get people trying to con others in to calling phone numbers that will likely end up costing users (either time, money or both). Here's an example of what people will try and do (this example wasn't edited in place, but posted direct):

Capture.png

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
We still get people trying to con others in to calling phone numbers that will likely end up costing users (either time, money or both). Here's an example of what people will try and do (this example wasn't edited in place, but posted direct):

This is despicable, and social engineering is truly despicable. but only vigilance can really cure that, vigilance from staff/moderators and members.

I still favour education of people vs just making people afraid of everything. (in general not just forums/hacking but other issues.) there's better ways. Which is the point I'm trying to make.

But this is a larger part of a interesting discussion that should be had elsewhere. so for my part, Thats will be the last I speak of it on here.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Thanks to all that provided feedback, nvere thought a simple topic would uncover so much controversy. The issues surrounding the reasoning are sound to this community, and its a small price to pay for a safe forum experience.

Firefox cannot access the title edit portion like advised, no big deal and the issue was corrected by some kind soul. So thank you to you...

Have a nice day people.

Ask a Question