Add Windows Settings to your Desktop Context Menu

Add Windows Settings to your Desktop Context Menu

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit32 submitted a new article:

Add Windows Settings to your Desktop Context Menu - A basic PowerShell Script to allow you to add to your Right-click Desktop Context Menu

With Microsoft slowly forcing the Windows 10 User to migrate to their Windows Settings dialog, which is accessed by left-clicking on Start, then clicking the Settings cog, I've added a basic PowerShell Script for our Forum members and/or guests which if they so choose can download and run to add a context menu for Settings to allow another way to get to the precise Settings they desire to reach.

I will not go into any great depth in explaining this Script, but for those interested in...

Read more about this article...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Note!!!

Please accept my apologies if you've all ready tried the script I posted yesterday.

On reviewing it today I noticed I omitted one line of code to add the MUIVerb String value that stores the data value of Devices and as a result the Settings menu when expanded displayed 03SubCmd rather than Devices in the list of choices to select.

I've modified the code to correct that mistake and have also updated the image so that you can see how it should look when running correctly.

If you have all ready run this Script prior to my correcting it, you can safely copy the updated code or download the updated download, and run that to fix things.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks ! :D

I believe this will be quite usefull

I will modify it so that it will be in French :p wish me luck ! :)

GREAT WORK ! :D

Regards ;) JAY B.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'd love to see it in French.

When you're done please post it here.

I do know a little French but its been a long time since I used French [ back in school ].

I believe it may be handy to have in the context menu given Microsoft are slowly but surely deprecating the older Control Panel and moving things into their new Windows Settings section.

Reaction score
Hi,

There is not a big difference, only a few words translated and that's it ! :)

Here's the result :

4GwOb.png

And in Registry :

2KeoJ.png

I'm still with Creator's Update (1703), nevertheless I modified (a little bit ! :p) the code you provided us generously. And I'm keeping it for the day I will upgrade to Fall's Creator's Update.
I joined the file, and you will see almost no difference.

I couldn't Thank You enough ! :D

Regards ;) JAY B.

P.S.: Do you mind if we share your code (tweak) on a French forum ?

Attachments

• new2.ps1
    9.8 KB · Views: 626

Regedit32

Reaction score
P.S.: Do you mind if we share your code (tweak) on a French forum ?

Hi Jay B,

Thanks for sharing the French with me. That takes me back many years to my school days when I was far more proficient in the language :D

Please feel free to share the code with anyone you like.

I am interested on seeing whether or not Microsoft will eventually include this choice as a Default option in time.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

I shared your coding for this great improvement in accessing « settings », and it was well received ! :D

I hope that Microsoft will include it.

Like you know, quite a few peoples had problems with the start menu, no matter if you were right or left clicking on it, it wouldn't open. I'm wondering if by including this option in our desktop right-clic, if we would still be able get these links working so that we would be able to get to « Update & Security », and try to fix the issue ???

If I do have an issue with my start menu, I'll come back to post it ! :p

Thanks again ! :)

Regards ;) JAY B.

Reaction score
They may have thought the Windows key plus I was fast enough. Ok , but perhaps a short mention of the key combination in the welcome, or somewhere, might have been helpful. But, knowing it, it is a safer way than altering anything in the registry.

There is a reg ad and reg remove available on the web for the function also.

Regedit32

Reaction score
They may have thought the Windows key plus I was fast enough.

Yes the Winkey + I is handy too.

I'm not sure whether there is a additional key you can then press to move to a specific setting within Windows Settings, which is why I like the option to add these to your context menu.

But, knowing it, it is a safer way than altering anything in the registry.

I agree at times modifying the Registry can lead to undesirable results, however in this case, while several new hives and values are created, they are contained within the Super Hive [ also created from the PS script ] so there is little chance it will upset anything else.

Reaction score
I am possibly driven by a compulsion not to add any more hidden items to my computer. I can only just remember what is already available!
Click start: click settings (or the shortcut key),. One more extra key tap. Works for me.

fwiw. Winkey + U gets to the updates, but, as far as I know, unless you get into mapping, that is the only other lead to the individual settings

Regedit32

Reaction score
fwiw. Winkey + U gets to the updates

Cheers for that one. I had not discovered it myself.

I prefer the context menu personally for two reasons:
  • My typing skills are average so using hotkeys I often hit the wrong second key
  • I also struggle to remember all the shortcuts in the first place, so knowing I just just right-click and select Settings, then the option I am seeking suits me.

Reaction score
Hi,

I prefer the context menu personally for two reasons:
  • My typing skills are average so using hotkeys I often hit the wrong second key
  • I also struggle to remember all the shortcuts in the first place, so knowing I just just right-click and select Settings, then the option I am seeking suits me.
It's the same for me, and there's so many keyboard shortcut, that it is hard to remember all of them.
It is simpler for me to use the contest menu.
And I believe that it should be a part of the next Build !???

Regards ;) JAY B.

Reaction score
Not disagreeing in the slightest. But, my own preference remains with the mouse selection through the already incorporated facilities.

Reaction score
I am possibly driven by a compulsion not to add any more hidden items to my computer. I can only just remember what is already available!
Click start: click settings (or the shortcut key),. One more extra key tap. Works for me.

fwiw. Winkey + U gets to the updates, but, as far as I know, unless you get into mapping, that is the only other lead to the individual settings
Winkey + U gets me to the Narrator page.

Reaction score
Right, but that is a sub section of a settings. I really don't want to drill down to that level!! lol

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32. I've been using this for some time & love it. The new Windows 10 version 1903, adds a Search & Phone & doesn't include mixed reality. I tried to add these myself & delete the Mixed Reality, but couldn't do it. Could you post how to add the above new ones & delete the one that no longer exists.
Thank you in advance!!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32. I've been using this for some time & love it. The new Windows 10 version 1903, adds a Search & Phone & doesn't include mixed reality. I tried to add these myself & delete the Mixed Reality, but couldn't do it. Could you post how to add the above new ones & delete the one that no longer exists.
Thank you in advance!!

I've only just returned to the Forum after an extended health issue.

I'll certainly take a look for you, but I need to acquaint myself with the Windows OS in its current formal - but also developmental - stages as I am a long why behind all the improvements Microsoft have added, given my health prevented me regularly accessing a computer.

So no promises - but happy to take a peek behind the bonnet per se and see what can be achieved.

To that extent it appears another user ages ago was also wanting some additions to the Script, so I'll look into those too.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. Regardless of what you find, I wish you the best for your health!!

Reaction score
Not sure if this is what you are seeking? Mixed reality can be accessed in the 3d Viewer in the start menu. It is an App under settings - Apps and features.

Ask a Question