SOLVED Adding installed software to adult family account

Reaction score
using Win10, I added my wife as an adult family member so she now has her own user account. Originally, we both used my administrator account so we could get to all the software programs (Office 15 with Word, Access, Excel, etc). How do we get those programs in her account now? Copying the links doesn't seem to work. Is there some good method where I can go the tiles and right click so I can add those programs to her account as well?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
When she is logged onto the computer with her account and she clicks the start button and then All Apps, is there no program group called Microsoft Office or any reference to the individual applications you mentioned from the Office Suite?
Typically when you install Microsoft Office it will install for all users.
When you added the account did you do so as a member of the local administrators group or standard user.
Check the Control Panel User Accounts and see if her account includes the word Administrator or Local Account under the account name.
Perhaps promoting her to membership in the local administrators group might help, although I wouldn't think that, that would be necessary to simply start a program like winword.exe.

Reaction score
There was a M Office app in her apps but it didn't bring up Word, Publisher, Powerpoint - only Excel and Access. That was a bit strange I thought.
Originally, we were using only my account as administrator to run everything. Once I added her as an account, I can't seem to get all the software on her account and I really don't want to have to redownload all the software that is already on the computer.
When I added her I was and I still am acting under the administrator account.
She was added as a family member under a microsoft account and I don't think I should have to add her as an administartor but I'll look

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've actually never used the family member account feature but instead just use the Other users -> Add someone else to this PC ->
You can use this to add another Microsoft Account or a local user account ( Other users -> Add someone else to this PC -> I don't have this person's sign-in information -> Add a user without a Microsoft account
Then select the new user and the "Change account type" button to switch from standard user to administrator user (if you wish).
Consequently, I have no idea if there are any additional factors or restriction involved by adding someone as a "Family user".

When you are logged on as her (using her account), can you right click the start button and choose "Run" and in the run dialog box simply type
winword.exe
hit enter or click OK
Does Word launch?

Reaction score
I tend to stay away from the administrator account idea because any virus she might get could wreak havock if it has access as administrator vice standard user (at least that has been what I have read). She is a standard user and I added her as a Microsoft account. I really don't know if there are any restrictions on that or not.
The funny thing is now, after several hours away from the computer, the word, publisher and excel icons showed up on her screen along with some other software. I don't know if it just takes time for the users to sync or if I need to shut the computer down and restart to get all this software to sync to each account.
I think I'll restart and see what happens then come back to you with what I'm finding. Just weird.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I guess, all's well that ends well.
I heard some instances recently where a new user profile has been taking longer than expected to flesh itself out.
IDK.... I've personally never experienced it

Reaction score
As a matter of a second question, now that her icons for the software are all present, how do I get my screen to lock the icons in the place I put them? Once I added her as a user my icons all went to the left of my screen. Each time I have moved them and thought I locked the screen they go back to the left. I thought I had Windows down to some logic having used it for so many years but 10 is trying to stump me.

Ask a Question