Admin woes on attempting to elevate any application

Reaction score
Buenos días one and all,
I am new on here, so please be kind :)

I have 5 computers I remotely manage for a customer at an internet cafe the other side of the world from me, using TeamViewer 11. All computers have been upgraded to Windows 10.

2 computers are used by staff only and have admin privileges on the sole account. No issues there (so far...)

3 computers are used by customers for internet browsing. Initially, when I first started management of these computers, all three of these computers had been installed by someone else with one user account with full admin privileges. The inevitable happened and a disgruntled customer changed the password on one machine and left, never to return, leaving only a cryptic password "clue" and therefore an unusable computer.

I was retained and from a distance, talked the owner through using a boot disk to get to the startup screen, use "net user" and "net localgroup" to add an Admin user and assign to Administrators group, boot and log in to that then install TeamViewer and leave rest to me.

So I ensured Admin account we had created was working and then I logged in to it and using lusrmgr reset the password for the other user to nothing, took them out of the Administrators group and disabled ability for standard user to change password.

Local User was then able to log on to the machine and browse the internet as a Standard User.

I went into the other two machines and implemented the same changes; using lusrmgr to add an Admin account, and demote the local user to Standard User.

So now it gets interesting. All ran well for about 2 weeks; then last night I TeamViewered into the machines to upgrade the anti virus. Two of the machines - no problems; I went to install, received the UAC prompt, entered the Admin password I had created, AV installed happily, then I uninstalled old unlicenced AV, again entering password at UAC prompt. Lovely. As it should be..

Third machine, not so much. I went to uninstall old AV, received UAC prompt, entered password and system told me it couldn't find the package I was trying to uninstall.... OK..... we'll deal with that in a bit ... I downloaded new AV package, clicked to install, received UAC prompt, entered Admin password .... and it told me it couldn't find the package I was trying to install... I went to the download directory, found the package, right clicked and selected "run as Administrator", entered password at UAC prompt ... and again.... reported that it couldn't find the package.

I'm unhappy now. This is taking too long (like this post, right?) So I try switching users to the Admin user I had created ... ... and received the dreaded "couldn't load profile" message I have seen posted about. Right. Great. ... so... back into local non-admin user and view the C:\Windows\Users directory ... no "Admin" user folder present - only the local user...WTF?

So tried using task manager to run the lusrmgr as Admin, but "Run New Task" did not give me the option to run as administrator. I tried regedit - it comes up when it's searched for and will open as local user, but when you right click and "run as administrator" it says "could not find regedit.exe". Nor could it find "cmd.exe" when I right clicked on that and tried to run as Admin. Every other application I try as Administrator gives me the same error... it'll run as Local User, but when right-clicked and "run as Administrator" ... error - cannot find the application. No way Jose.

As far as I am aware, my options now would be to either get client to boot from Windows 10 disk, at startup screen press Shift + F10 to get command prompt, copy in the "Default" profile folder from one of the other machines that works (which I have saved away...) then use "net user" to either activate the onboard Administrator account or delete and re-add a new Admin account so that it picks up the non-corrupted Default folder (I am assuming the old folder is corrupted...)
... or blow away the system and re-install from a clean image. I am very tempted by this "Nuclear" solution...

But before I ask my client to get down and dirty with the boot disk or vaporise his system and start again ... is this something anybody has come across before, and how did you fix it? It is extremely vexing and more so that I can only access these computers remotely - I don't have the luxury of travelling halfway around the world to sit in front of the machine and fix it.

Excuse the long post, looking forward to any replies, responses, tips or information you can send my way

(P.S. when fixed, would it be, as I think, a benefit to take the local user out of the users group and have them in the "Guest" group in case there has been some ...."meddling"?)

Reaction score
It sounds like you've done everything right to resolve it. Have you run sfc /scannow to check the integrity of that system's files? That, and DISM, might help.

Also, have you tried a different AV program just to check things out a bit more? Maybe Malwarebytes to see if somehow the machine got infected? If you find something, it begs the questions if you have the USB ports secured from letting anyone bring in a stick with something on it.

Anyway, good luck.

Edit - I just realized you probably can't get sfc to run in admin, nor can you install Malwarebytes?

Reaction score
It sounds like you've done everything right to resolve it. Have you run sfc /scannow to check the integrity of that system's files? That, and DISM, might help.

Also, have you tried a different AV program just to check things out a bit more? Maybe Malwarebytes to see if somehow the machine got infected? If you find something, it begs the questions if you have the USB ports secured from letting anyone bring in a stick with something on it.

Anyway, good luck.

Edit - I just realized you probably can't get sfc to run in admin, nor can you install Malwarebytes?

Sí - sadly not ... I think my next step will be to reboot into safe mode and see if I can log on using the inbuilt administrator account - TeamViewer apparently allows this, although this is something I have not yet tried...

Reaction score
Try AEROADMIN as well. It's free for home and business use. Simple and fast. Requires no installation and configuration.

Reaction score
Try AEROADMIN as well. It's free for home and business use. Simple and fast. Requires no installation and configuration.
Thank you Jorge, however my issue is more so with the operating system itself than the manner in which I access it .... TeamViewer seems to work fine and I have all the computers up on that now .... still haven't got round to fixing this problem. May have to wait for a few months until I make a site visit I think

Ask a Question