SOLVED Administor Blocked Apps

Reaction score
I went to use my printer last night, HP LaserJet 1102W. Windows no longer recognised the printer. Checked device manager, disappeared from there too. Tried the printer on 2 other machines same thing, it was working fine in April when I did my Taxes LOL
I found the original CD that I have never used before as the printer is USB connected. Windows wouldn't let me install the printer software using the CD. I received the Red error warning "An Administrator has blocked you from running this app"
icon_scratch.png
I did manage to successfully install the printer today using the built in Admin account and the CD to reinstall.

Does anyone know if this is Windows Defender taking control of apps as mentioned in a recent post by @Grizzly ?

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-defender-seriously.17115/

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally speaking you'll need to use an account that is a member of the local administrators group to install software packages that include driver and or firmware.
IS it possible you were logged on with a standard user account.

I suppose that it's also possible that there might have been an issue with the CD if it contained legacy or protected mode drivers.

Your best bet might be to obtain the latest driver package from HP
https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...es/4110394/model/4110306/swItemId/bi-80329-11

It might also be worth your while to take the time to use the HP Print and Scan Doctor utility from here
https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...ro-p1102-printer-series/4110394/model/4110306

Reaction score
Trouble Thanks! I tried my both my User account and the Local Admin Account both with the same error message "An Administrator has blocked you from running this app"
I also used the H.P. Printer Trouble Shooter, Printer Install Wizard and the H.P. scan and print doctor apps neither of the apps could find a printer or install from CD.
As a last resort I enabled the built in Administrator account and installed from CD. I could have just plugged the printer USB cable back in and let it run it's self install bu chose the CD install. It just seems strange 3 PC's recently developed the same printer problem. Actually was quite upset, I thought MS had turned the printer into a boat anchor.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well, in any case, I'm glad you got it back up and running.
I also noticed that there was a firmware update at one of those links I posted above.
Don't know if you've installed it, don't know if you even need it, just thought I'd follow up with a mention.
Typically, you wouldn't want to do that type of update without a USB connection.
It might work over a wifi network
OR
You might get that boat anchor

Reaction score
Trouble Thanks Again for your input.
Yes I downloaded the recent firmware update after the printer was reinstalled also created a new OS image. Now I have to perform the Administrator reinstall on the other PC's. I couldn't handle not having a printer.

Ask a Question