• IMG-20170927-WA0020[1].jpg
    IMG-20170927-WA0020[1].jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 570
Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :).

Don't pay anything - that's a scam! Is that message appearing as a popup in a browser (it appears to be in Edge)? If so, it may just be a webpage that you can close, as it's trying to scare you in to paying money.

It could just be a popup that appears when visiting an infected website, or it perhaps you've downloaded a browser plugin or bit of software that has been infected.

Are you running any Anti-Virus software? I would download and run MBAM (free) from this link and run that to see if it detects the infection:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Reaction score
My experience has been that a restart will clear this scam. .As soon as you see it go directly to the start button

Reaction score
This scam is called Ransomware; i.e. they hold your computer for ransom. Anti-virus won't prevent it. Usually it locks the browser so you can't close it in the normal way. You can kill the browser with Task Manager. Now that you've called them, they have your phone number. Expect lots of phone spam.

Reaction score
I've had several clients get the message so I tell them how to do a complete 'dirty' shutdown then wait until tomorrow and try again, has always worked.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
These are generally browser based redirects from some click bait link that someone has chosen to click.
Usually, launching Task Manager. either by right clicking the taskbar or by using Ctrl + Alt + Delete, finding your browser under the processes tab (all instances) right clicking and choosing to "end task" will generally do the trick.
Restarting is not often required although not a bad idea.
Avoiding calling any phone number or contacting by any means, any support provided by these types of "warnings" is always a good idea.
Think about it.....
I could probably help you, if you called me.
AM I going to give out my phone number indiscriminately to people I don't even know?
NO!
And that applies to most anyone, person or business who would likely be able to genuinely help you.
You would have to seek me out, just like you would have to do for any professional (plumber, electrician, carpenter, etc.,)
They just don't show up magically knocking on your door (physical or virtual).

Ask a Question