Computer has stopped recognising Android devices

Reaction score
My HP laptop windows 10 home has stopped recognising all my android devices inMTP mode but not in PTP mode. I've tried uninstalling the drivers,(I think), but getting the same message on reinstall, drivers found but failed to install saying "a service installation section in this INF is invalid".Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi tomtom,

This is a known issue for people with legacy devices who have installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

There are a couple of ways you might resolve this; I'll start with the simpler way first:

Method 1
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\INF
  • When you have the INF folder open at top of window click the View tab and check the box next to File name extensions
  • Scroll down and locate wpdmtp.inf then right-click on this file and choose Install

Method 2
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Device Manager
  • Expand your Portable Devices
  • Assuming your device is listed there is likely to be a yellow exclamation mark next to it, Right-click on the exclamation marked Device and select Update Driver Software
  • In the window that pops up select the second option: Browse my computer for driver software
  • Next click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  • You ought to now see a list of options. If one of them is MTP USB Device you could try selecting that, otherwise click the Have Disk button and browse to C:\Windows\INF then select wpdmtp.inf

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question