SOLVED Advice On Middle Ground Desktop

Reaction score
256GB for the system drive is plenty. If you move the document, picture folders etc to the storage drive, you get even more free space.
On my laptops I have a system partition and a data partition (this could apply to separate drives as well). My system partition is only 50GB containing Windows 10 May 2020 update and I have still plenty of space left (about half). All my documents, pictures, music etc are on a different partition and/or drive like it was already suggested.

However and I cannot stress it enough, regular backups of the system drive are very important. I myself do a system backup every time MS wants to shove a new update on the users.

I think I understand moving folders to another, but Creating new partitions may something over my head. Thanks for your reply...

Reaction score
I think I understand moving folders to another, but Creating new partitions may something over my head. Thanks for your reply...

I did not mean for you to create new partitions. In your case that is not needed anyway since your new PC already has two drives built in. My PC has only one drive, but two partitions on it. Basically it is the same. What I meant was that you should move the folders to the large drive instead keeping them on the smaller one (if you finally have gotten the new desktop).

Reaction score
I did not mean for you to create new partitions. In your case that is not needed anyway since your new PC already has two drives built in. My PC has only one drive, but two partitions on it. Basically it is the same. What I meant was that you should move the folders to the large drive instead keeping them on the smaller one (if you finally have gotten the new desktop).

Oh..! Ok, I can manage that, I think. ! Thank you. Now to decide if to buy PC from HP store or shop around for exact same PC.Thank you so very much...Jim

Reaction score

Second reply. Backing up to ext HD should be faster with new pc. Mine takes forever, even with pics and such on a different drive. Your preferred method of complete backup and RESTORING with instructions if you don`t mind please...Still learnings at 72 yrs...:)

Reaction score
Reaction score
There are multiple backup programs (nowadays they are called APPS) out there, just to name a few:

Acronis True Image https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/
Macrium Reflect https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
Aomei Backupper https://www.ubackup.com/
O&O DiscImage https://www.oo-software.com/en/download/current/oodiskimagepro

If you have a Western Digital drive in your new PC, you can get Acronis for free from their website.

BTW: I am not that far behind you in age :oops: :D:D

Thanks, I will check them out.

Reaction score
I know people with Dell and they are generally happy with them. Sometimes there have been problems with device drivers after a Windows release but they are quickly fixed.

Reaction score
Ended up ordering from HP and am satisfied so far. Only one glitch I can`t seem to fix. I will start a new post on it...Thanks to Everyone's kind advice...Jim

Ask a Question