Encryption Advice for someone with little computer skills

Reaction score
Hi
Would really appreciate experienced view on protecting personal data (banking, etc) on a laptop.

Intel [email protected] with 16Gb Ram running Win 10 Home v.1909. Very old versions of Word and Excel. 2 SSD's

Unfortunately started using it before really thinking about security. Have already relocated the default "Documents" folder off of C: onto D: using the Location tab.

I want to secure my data so that anyone who gains physical access to my PC without my permission cannot see my personal word, excel files. I already use Firefox and have privacy set well on that, but i understand that the bookmarks are likely to see on the C drive....ot ideal, but not a big issue for me.

I don't know a great about PCs and need a stable and reliable system. Wondering whether to
1: Encrypt both C: and D: drives (using veracrypt). Question is will this slow my PC noticably? Will it make it less stable?

2. Encrypt only the D:. With 2 options
2a. Put the "Docs" folder on the D: and regularly (especially when travelling) clear all Temp Folders on the C drive to ensure no copies of documents are stored there (using Ccleaner or the like). I presume 2 things here - i) that Ccleaner/similar would remove any traces of personal files, word/excel, etc on the C: that I've had open and ii) this would this cause no issue at all to the running of the PC? Seems a little labour intensive but a safe/stable option.

2b. Put My Docs AND Windows Temp folders onto the D: and then encrypt. Would this potentially cause instability with Windows when the Temp folders are on the encrypted D:? Might it even stop windows booting up properly? I have no idea...i'm not that computer savvy.

Can someone please enlighten me as to the best approach, there is very likely other better ways i have not considered.

Thanks very much in advance
Syn

Reaction score
Hi Syn,

you could try allowing only specific people, right click a folder "Give access to" > "Specific people". I do not know how well this works so make copies of your files in that folder or create a new folder to test it!. :)

1590219875818.png

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie
Thanks very much for your reply. Nice bit of lateral thinking there! I'll remember that for future.
Unfortunately, it won't suffice for the kind of protection i require. I'm thinking about if i had my laptop stolen, e.g. whilst travelling. I know the cloud is a good way to avoid having private data on your hardware, but i would not want to rely unpon that as the only copy of my files.

After much thinking, i've decided, I am going to encrypt my D: drive (2nd internal drive). I'll then move the deafult "Documents" folder and a couple of the other users data folders by changin their locations from the C: to the D:. Then crypt the D: As per this link - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1964-move-users-folder-location-windows-10-a.html
I hope this won't cause any issue with software running properly.

There should then be very little if any private files (not even temp copies) left on the C: drive. This should mean little impact on performance and good stability and safety.
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hi Syn,

if you do encrypt your other drive, I recommend making back up copies of your files to a USB stick or other storage medium as it is possible that something will go wrong with the process and you find yourself locked out of your files!.

I am not a fan of cloud services as the danger is that a server can be hacked, but that is just my own personal feelings on the matter!. :)

Reaction score
HI Wolfie
Thank you for the warning and sensible advice. I appreciate it. ;)

No, i agree with you there on cloud services.

Reaction score
"but that is just my own personal feelings on the matter !"
":confused: " and mine!!

Ask a Question