After the 1607 update, local user login does not work - but only sometimes!

Reaction score
Hi there, Win10 Pro, 14393.189.

Just after the Anniversary Update build 1607 on my desktop, I noticed that I'm having a problem with logging in into a local account (I do not use microsoft account to log in) which up until then worked without a hitch for over a year.

-Windows boots up fine, login password prompt
-Upon entering password the little circle animation goes on for 40-50 seconds
-Windows does not let me in, back on the login password prompt (without any sort of message)
-Happens the same if I enter a completely incorrect password, or nothing at all

The curious thing is that the problem (usually) disappears after I immediately shut down from login screen and boot up again. I'd class that this happens in roughly 60%-70% of cases. However there were days that I had to shut down and boot up again 3, 4 or 5 times before the password is accepted and Windows logs me in fine.

I thought this might be a one-PC issue, but right after the 1607 update, my laptop which shares absolutely 0 common manufacturer hardware with my desktop started experiencing the same. Whatsmore, I posted this question on tenforums.com, and even though nobody has confirmed it as a known bug or offered solutions, at least I found 5 or 6 people experiencing the same thing - one guy even made a short youtube clip although on this clip the rejection is a lot quicker than on mine.

This happens both on the boot-up, but also when I sign-out or when the laptop goes to sleep due to inactivity and is awoken.

The only common thing between the laptop and the desktop that I can think of is that they both have Windows on SSD, and the Users profile migrated to the secondary hard drive.

Thanks,
V

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi dark_77,

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you or these other 5 people you alluded to attempt to create a new local account, to test whether it too experiences this log on issue?

Normally if Windows cannot sign you in it will create a temporary user profile and log into that instead and you see an alert that recommends shutting down and restarting so as to log in to usual account.

I take it you have not seen this either?!

Reaction score
Nope, never seen anything like that alert to be honest.

Neat idea though, never occured to me to make a new profile as, well, I never had to do it in the last several years :oops:

I'm trying it right now on the laptop - will report back soon!

Reaction score
Hi dark_77,
Have you or these other 5 people you alluded to attempt to create a new local account, to test whether it too experiences this log on issue?

It was a good idea, but I'm afraid the issue persists - I just made another local account, and the moment the PC went to sleep and I activated it, it would not let me back into the new account. Bah.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well it was worth testing - we can assume then the original user profile is probably not corrupt.

I'll have to put the thinking cap on :D see if I can think why this is occurring on two different machines with the only common denominator being SSD's.

Reaction score
Thanks for giving it a shot :D

If it's helpful at all (doubt it), here are the links of all those people I found with similar problem (I hope it is not against forum rules to link other forums):

Occasionally can't login after wake from sleep

Only able to login after I restart 1 time

Endless login prompt

After updating to 1607 Cant login to windows with my password
(confirmation that a fresh reinstall of Windows WITHOUT 1607 update removed the issue)

Can't sign in after the Anniversary update
(though that last one was to do with some UXTheme Patcher 3rd party software, but indicative that it started only after 1607)

Reaction score
Okay, several days later, new things I'm noticing:

-KB3194496 update just got installed, but alas, did not fix the issue

-the issue is a lot easier to reproduce now: curiously, if I use "Sign Out" option, and sign back in, Windows 10 accepts the password and logs me in just fine, about about 10 times out of last 10!

-however, if I use "Lock screen", i.e. just lock the screen for the user, and try to unlock it, and sign back in, or if the PC goes into sleep, the password failed so far every time (about 5 out of last 5 times).

This behaviour is consistent on both of my machines, the desktop and the laptop which share no common hardware!

Not sure if any of that can point anyone into thinking in right direction?

Ask a Question