SOLVED Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607 causes computer to fail

Reaction score
All of a sudden Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607 started to want to update my computer, which was working fine without it. After the update my hard drive numbers were changed (what was 0 became 1 and what was 1 became 0) and after running for a short period the system would lock up with the physical disk with my C: drive showing 100% in the resource monitor but the display was locked up and showed no usage. The computer becomes totally unresponsive and has to be powered off and restarted. I've restored to a "good" previous version but the same thing happens every time with the update forcing its way on to my perfectly good Windows 10 Pro computer with the same results every time.

I've tried to set the Defer upgrades under advanced Options for updates but it still want to go ahead and load the update.

Any advice on how I can tell the updater I don't want the new features and it will leave me alone?

Reaction score
Hi dac8190,

I would run the update tool and you should end up with version 1703, I don't/didn't have any problems with it despite there being several reports about upgrading!. :D

ss1.JPG

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Or create a new USB stick with the "Create Windows 10 installation media" tool (on same page!).

Reaction score
The Windows 10 version 1703 was finally able to install on both my Desktop and Laptop computers. It restored Cortana, which I had removed form my Desktop, and apparently this update corrected whatever was causing issues with Cortana consuming the Desktop's CPU and Disks.

Ask a Question