SOLVED 1809 feature update won’t install

Reaction score
4ACAFBDF-699D-4D1E-A41D-B3DF158A94B8.jpeg
I’ve downloaded the 1809 feature update (32bit W10 Pro) but it won’t install until a restart has occurred.
Manual restart attempt does not install it, PC remains on 1803 update (0 days set for feature and quality updates).

Reaction score
Thank you Wolfie.
I’ve tried a few workarounds but no luck so far. I can’t even uninstall it as it hasn’t been installed!!
I’ll keep fiddling. The next patch Tuesday might do something to kickstart it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The first thing you need to do, before proceeding, is to make a disk image of your current install to assure you have a strong fall back option.

Then you should research information regarding some "blocks" that Microsoft has put into place to prevent the upgrade on some devices that have a particular hardware and or software configurations.
Just a couple, there's more out there.

Next
I would go here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Use the media creation tool to obtain the ISO, save it to a location on my computer.
To be positive you have the latest version available. IF you downloaded it some time ago it would just be best practice to confirm you have a good copy of the latest ISO.

Make sure that your computer is physically configured with only minimal hardware..... USB connected keyboard, USB connected mouse, and a monitor.
NO extraneous peripherals, no USB printer(s), no wireless dongles of any type, no USB connect external storage
AND
No third party security suite installed.

Then simply double click the ISO to mount it as a virtual optical drive and run Setup.exe

Reaction score
Trouble, your experience and attention to detail is always impressive.
I’ll do as you suggest, hopefully soon.
Season greetings to you too.

Reaction score
I'm not sure what version MS is attempting to install, but, I do know that SSU (Service Stack Update) KB4470788 was a prerequisite for version 1809.167. I downloaded SSU KB4470788 manually from the WU catalog. I'm currently running .194 with no problems.

Reaction score
Further to @Norton's post, the following link takes you directly to the update catalogue, you just need to put the update package name in the search bar, download it and do a manual install!:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx :):):)

Thanks Norton/Wolfie.
I tried installing KB4470788 but get the message “the update is not applicable to your computer”.
My PC is still running fine on 1803 build 17134.471

Reaction score
Something which can inhibit an install is lack of available disk space. Microsoft says they require 20 GB of free space on the OS partition. If you have been seeing folders showing double arrows might mean Windows was trying to compress files to create space.

There should be a folder on your system like $Windows xxxxx. If you have that, look in the Panther directory or a rollback directory and see if a setuperr.log or setupact.log file is present. You may be able to track down why the install did not complete. There may be one in you OS folders but check the time and date to see if it could be relevant.

Is your 2009 desktop the only system this happening with?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I tried installing KB4470788 but get the message “the update is not applicable to your computer”.
Generally when you get that message it means one of two things
You grabbed the 64bit version when you needed the 32bit version or vice versa
OR
It's already installed.
You won't see it in Windows Update History, you need to look in Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> View installed updates

Reaction score
Generally when you get that message it means one of two things
You grabbed the 64bit version when you needed the 32bit version or vice versa
OR
It's already installed.
You won't see it in Windows Update History, you need to look in Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> View installed updates

I definitely selected the correct version for my PC (x86).
Update History using your path does not show it has been installed but then why would it as 1809 has not actually been installed, it’s waiting for a restart...?

Reaction score
Something which can inhibit an install is lack of available disk space. Microsoft says they require 20 GB of free space on the OS partition. If you have been seeing folders showing double arrows might mean Windows was trying to compress files to create space.

There should be a folder on your system like $Windows xxxxx. If you have that, look in the Panther directory or a rollback directory and see if a setuperr.log or setupact.log file is present. You may be able to track down why the install did not complete. There may be one in you OS folders but check the time and date to see if it could be relevant.

Is your 2009 desktop the only system this happening with?
My desktop is the only unit on which I’m allowing the upgrade to occur and I have plenty of disk space too.

Reaction score
KB4483234 has just come through forcing a restart but still no 1809.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try this to cleanup any remnants or corrupt content to see if it helps with the issue.
Open a command prompt (Admin)
type
cleanmgr /sageset:1
hit enter
give it a minute or so and then check all the boxes in the dialog box that appears and click OK on that, then type
cleanmgr /sagerun:1
hit enter and wait till both message boxes close and then type
exit
In the command prompt Window

NEXT
Open C:\Windows\SoftwareDistrbution folder and delete the contents completely
IF you have a couple items that resist deletion then open the Run dialog box (Windows logo key and the R key on your keyboard) and type
services.msc
hit enter or click OK
In the services console scroll down near the bottom and stop the Windows Update service (just right click it and choose stop from the context menu)
AND
Scroll back up near the top and stop the Cryptographic service
Then finish the deletion of whatever remains in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.

Reboot the system, give it a minute or two as it might take a bit to align all ducks after your cleanup (don't panic).

Then try Windows Updates and see what happens.

Reaction score
Thank you Randy.
As you suggested earlier I should first make a disk image before going any further.
Stand by to stand by....

Reaction score
Not quite sure what you’re getting at Wolfie.
As you can see right at the start of this Post, my screen shot shows 1809 downloaded and waiting for a restart to finish installing. The automatic restart does not occur. Manual restart does nothing either.

Reaction score
One thing not yet mentioned, but, miraculously, seems to do the trick for many - run the built in update trouble shooter.

Reaction score
One thing not yet mentioned, but, miraculously, seems to do the trick for many - run the built in update trouble shooter.
Thank you davehc, it was one of the first things I tried.
Changes “were” made by the troubleshooter but to no avail....
Maybe my aging PC is not compatible with 1809 et al.

Reaction score
Eureka, there is a Father Christmas, although he’s somewhat obscure!

1809 decided to download again (some 5GB later with two downloads) then everything proceeded to install normally. Go figure...

Thank you very much to the above helpers/contributors, sorry everyone’s time got wasted (including mine).

Cheers and season greetings to all.

MrEd

Ask a Question