SOLVED Problems since feature update to build 1709

Reaction score
Hi,
Running Windows 10 Home version 1709.
All working fine until feature update installed earlier this week.
This is obviously a major update as took ages to download and install.
Issues are relatively minor but annoying to say the least.
Win Key +X menu features namely Taskmanager, Power Shell and admin, ,Computer Management,Disk Management, Device Manager and Event viewer do not work from the menu. They do however work from Control Panel.
If i revert back to the previous build Ie before the feature update was installed all is fine but as soon as the update reappears and installs it gives the same problem. This has happened at least 3 times with same result.
Have tried SFC /SCANNOW and no errors reported.
I did check with MS Help and they logged in to my laptop and ran a program from Tweaking.Com Windows Repair.
The process took several hours to check all windows files etc and the MS tech guy advised me that after the process was complete all would be fine. Unfortunately though the issue still remains.
Just wondered if anyone has the same issue or is it just me?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
What happens if you right click the start button? Does the tool menu show? If so do any of them open up when clicking on one of them?

Reaction score
Tried that and exactly the same result.
Tool menu opens but cant access the ones i have listed.

Reaction score
Yesterday i contacted MS support and their solution was to do a fresh install. Bad move!
However after 2 hours same result. The fresh install was to 1709 and then no previous version to go back to.
Must be an issue with that build and my laptop configuration as other people seem to be ok.
Now i have done a restore to an image file i saved about 2 months ago so back to 1703.
All works well so trying to avoid the inevitable where by it upgrades to 1709 unless there is a way of temporarily disabling this.

Reaction score
Hi,
Running Windows 10 Home version 1709.
All working fine until feature update installed earlier this week.
This is obviously a major update as took ages to download and install.
Issues are relatively minor but annoying to say the least.
Win Key +X menu features namely Taskmanager, Power Shell and admin, ,Computer Management,Disk Management, Device Manager and Event viewer do not work from the menu. They do however work from Control Panel.
If i revert back to the previous build Ie before the feature update was installed all is fine but as soon as the update reappears and installs it gives the same problem. This has happened at least 3 times with same result.
Have tried SFC /SCANNOW and no errors reported.
I did check with MS Help and they logged in to my laptop and ran a program from Tweaking.Com Windows Repair.
The process took several hours to check all windows files etc and the MS tech guy advised me that after the process was complete all would be fine. Unfortunately though the issue still remains.
Just wondered if anyone has the same issue or is it just me?
Hi, after the lengthy update my SD card was not working no matter what I tried it said "SD card needs formatting. After I did a revert all is fine. I wish there was a way to stop these updates. I stopped all updates on my Windows 7 desktop & it has worked flawlessly for 7 years!

Fred

Reaction score
Finally sorted.
Installed the 1709 feature update so now at 16299.125
Downloaded ShellExView from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Started disabling the non Microsoft programs that were running and then restarting.
I then attempted to access the start menu items via Win Key +X that i previously could not access.
Soon found the offending program which I then uninstalled using Ccleaner.
Program causing the issue was "ExpressZip" by NCH Software.
No doubt some kind of conflict but can now move forward again.
Many thanks for comments and help received.

Ask a Question