SOLVED After update icons won't stick to taskbar, previous icons removed from taskbar.

Reaction score
After an automatic windows 10 home update last week a bunch of icons are missing from the taskbar and I can't drag them back from the desktop. Included are CCleaner, Chrome, Dropbox, Firefox, Macrium Reflect, and many others. It seems that microsoft programs and non microsoft programs which don't compete directly with a microsoft product will stick, but direct microsoft competitors won't. Hmmmmmm?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you double-checked your Taskbar is not currently locked?
  • Right-click on Taskbar and make sure Lock the taskbar is not checked

So far as dragging icons to the Taskbar, you should be able to select the Program from Start menu and select pin to taskbar. Any desktop icons are more than likely shortcuts to the applications.

Reaction score
The taskbar is not locked. From the start menu when I right click and select pin to taskbar it doesn't work. When I actually start a program where the icon won't pin to the taskbar, like Google Chrome, the icon does not appear on the taskbar when the program is running. I can only switch back to it (give it focus) using Ctrl+Tab.

Reaction score
I have some more info. I noticed that when the search bar went away for a second some icons are hiding behind it. I didn't see what they were. Curiouser and curiouser.

Reaction score
I FOUND IT! I right clicked on the taskbar, selected settings, then selected use small taskbar buttons. All of a sudden the search bar shrunk down to a tiny little circle and all my icons were found hiding behind the search bar.

And I didn't even say "ollie, ollie oxen free", or is it "alle, alle auch sind frei"!!!

Ask a Question