All my pictures disappeared from my PC Windows 10 after update

Reaction score
Using help forums we have tried the following suggestions:
We have used "System restore" backing up a week, that was when we discovered pictures disappeared. I use the pictures frequently, so I know when they disappeared.
We have opened C:\drive, typing "kind:pictures" in search box, found 17,002 images and some of my photos are scattered among the 17,000. My pictures were organized in files and folders, irreplaceable ones of our grandchildren through the years.
We had not back the pictures up, our mistake. I just now signed up for "Onedrive" so no backup there.
I also have tried: "Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features>Installed Updates." The updates listed occurred after the pictures disappeared, so did not undo them.
When I went to Libraries>Documents>Documents>My pictures and tried to drag picture folder to desktop, I couldn't and got "This folder is unavailable."
I won't give up on this,
Thanks

Reaction score
sunday22 Welcome to the forum.
Open File Explorer, double click on C: drive. In the top right corner you will see a search box named "Search Local Disk (C) In the search box type *jpg Explorer will search the entire drive and locate all *jpg (pics) on the hard drive.
Be patient, if you have a lot of .jpg images the scan can take some time. When scanning is complete you can open the files and drag them to a temp folder on your desktop. I would also drag the same temp pics folder to a Thumb drive for safe keeping and if you wish to your Library Pictures Folder.
Please create regular backups, of all your important data, pics, docs...I know what it's like to loose irreplaceable pics.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have "updated" and "upgraded" many Windows machines to various builds and versions of Windows 10 and have never experienced a single instance like the one you are describing.
It's conceivable that if it was an "upgrade" that some files have not migrated yet from your Windows.old folder and you might find them there a C:\Windows.old\Users\YourUserName.
You might also have a look at C:\Users and see if there is perhaps another user profile folder there that might contain your missing data.
Other than that.....
Searching your entire computer, all disks and all partitions by simply selecting them from the left navigation pane in File Explorer and then in the search box near the top right just type
ext:jpg
hit enter and see what turns up and note the path to any files that you recognize as those that are missing.

Reaction score
It looks like the op has found his pictures, but they are no longer organised?

Have you looked in Users - username - Documents - Pictures

Reaction score
Hi

Try downloading Agent Ransack.

https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

It is a free file searching utility that far outperforms Windows native search engine.
(It's the first thing I install on a new computer).

It will be added to the right click menu and you can just point at you drive or location you want to search and select Agent Ransack.

It will find things that Windows does not, but the main thing is that it makes it very easy and super fast to find anything using a few clues.

Mainly is makes the process of finding certain files easier then using the Windows interface and is much faster.

If you just search for .jpg you will see every .jpg image in you computer and it's file location in seconds.

You can click on any one of them and ask View Here and it will open file explorer to that location.

I just searched my C:\ drive and it found 9,635 .jpg files in 36 seconds.

Mike

Reaction score
I keep my pictures on a second hhd but leave the original pic folder on drive C so it remains the default picture folder and it leaves alone the photos on my other drives as win 10 only messes with c drive unless you have system files on another drive eg if you copied and pasted the c/pictures to drive e or f or g

Reaction score
I have "updated" and "upgraded" many Windows machines to various builds and versions of Windows 10 and have never experienced a single instance like the one you are describing.
It's conceivable that if it was an "upgrade" that some files have not migrated yet from your Windows.old folder and you might find them there a C:\Windows.old\Users\YourUserName.
You might also have a look at C:\Users and see if there is perhaps another user profile folder there that might contain your missing data.
Other than that.....
Searching your entire computer, all disks and all partitions by simply selecting them from the left navigation pane in File Explorer and then in the search box near the top right just type
ext:jpg
hit enter and see what turns up and note the path to any files that you recognize as those that are missing.
I have updated windows and now all my jpeg files are blank! it seems as though its happened to many ppl

Ask a Question