AMD Graphics driver

Reaction score
I don't see a Graphics card forum, so I will post this here in General.

Just tried to install the new AMD graphics driver "Crimson Edition" , installed the driver, but my windows 10 shows 15.201.1151.0 and says its up to date? This is the driver I just downloaded and installed, it went through the install process, I re checked it and each item in the list of things to install said they were installed and up to date ??

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64 this driver is dated today 11/24/15

But in my device manager it still shows this 15.201.1151.0 with a driver date of 8/21/15 ?? and if I try to update it from there it says its up to date, weather I use the search on line or the manual by selecting the folder that was installed on my C drive under AMD where the other driver is.So I can't figure if it installed, why the driver version and date hasn't changed.

Anybody else use AMD drivers try this?

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
That driver/software package is for current AMD GPU's. What GPU do you have? See this....

AMD Radeon™ Software Support for Legacy Graphics Products
AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series (HD 8400 and below), Radeon™ HD 7000 Series (HD 7600 and below), Radeon™ HD 6000 Series, and Radeon™ HD 5000 Series Graphics products have reached peak performance optimization as of November 24th, 2015.

reference link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows 8.1 - 64

Reaction score
yeah I seen that too, but I assumed that it was for "future" drivers, that this one was the last that would be issued for those older cards. I have an older Radeon 7690M XT 2g DDR5, still works well and haven't had any problems with it from W7 to W10. Oh well if this one won't install than so be it, its the way things go with everything that "ages" in place :)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yep...I'm in the same situation. I have a 6790D and I'm stuck with the 15.7.1 driver/software package. I'll be upgrading to a Nvidia GTX 980 and hopefully soon.

Bif

Reaction score
I'm running an AMD Radeon 6310 HD and find myself stuck with what MS says is best..I've tried to no avail to download the latest driver but with everything working fine...if it ain't broke.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
myself stuck with what MS says
This is exactly why I hate windows 10 and wont use it again, not until MS gives back the user the option to say yeah/nay to what can be installed from the updates section.

Bif

Reaction score
This is exactly why I hate windows 10 and wont use it again, not until MS gives back the user the option to say yeah/nay to what can be installed from the updates section.
I even contacted AMD and spoke at length to them and THEY even stated that using the latest driver as opposed to what MS recommends is a dangerous and often problem causing venture.
I'm done with complaining about MS and Windows 10 and just accepting it for what it is...there are so many threads on this forum stating that "I'm done with MS until they change"...
Well that ain't gonna happen in my lifetime and frankly MS doesn't give a rats about we think and that's obvious,so many other things in life that we can change for the better..going to put my energy into those.
My laptop turns on every morning and I can do the things I normally do..life ain't that bad.

Ask a Question