KB40448955 AMD ver 1709

Reaction score
Just did an update check and it started downloading this file - I DON"T have an AMD processor. Mine is Intel. Could not get this dad blam (this - rather than the D word!) thing to stop installing!! I am very upset. I finally had to recover to the previous version of Win 10.
Don't have a clue as to why the AMD version started downloading and installing.
Now- what do I do regarding checking for updates again???? Cause you can't stop the darn thing from downloading and installing! Good grief Microsoft! You can't do any better than this??

Reaction score
It's ok to download. It's a regular Cumulative Update. Has nothing to do with processors. amd64 is simply a 'moniker' MS uses for legal purposes.
AMD64 is referring to the instruction set the CPU is running, not who made the CPU itself. The update is perfectly applicable to your Intel CPU. It's running on my Intel I7-4702HQ CPU right now just fine. That's because the Intel CPU is still running the AMD64 instruction set even though the physical chip is made by Intel.

Reaction score
It's a good tool, I use it on occasions.
Let us know the result once you've blocked the update.

Reaction score
I've run it several times and that particular update never shows up. When it does I will block it.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Here is what is showing in Windows Update:
upload_2017-12-5_17-2-37.png

The Updater program does not show this at all. I've restarted at least 8 times already and this still shows up. I cannot get this to do anything. Can't delete it and it will not finish installing. Anyone with any tips to try to get this gone?

Reaction score
Here is what the new tool shows:
upload_2017-12-5_17-5-47.png

Notice that there are 2 versions of version 1709. The tool will not let me delete either of the files. Would appreciate some help.

Reaction score
It's ok to download. It's a regular Cumulative Update. Has nothing to do with processors. amd64 is simply a 'moniker' MS uses for legal purposes.
AMD64 is referring to the instruction set the CPU is running, not who made the CPU itself. The update is perfectly applicable to your Intel CPU. It's running on my Intel I7-4702HQ CPU right now just fine. That's because the Intel CPU is still running the AMD64 instruction set even though the physical chip is made by Intel.
I think that the "AMD64" refers to a time when the AMD processors were running a 99.9999% subset of the Intel set. I think that this may be true again with the I9 vs 'conventional AMD machines and I'd bet that the new AMD Ryzen chips may in some regards be a superset of the current Intel offerings. MS of course has to provide a software kit that will run on both

Reaction score
Can somebody tell me what this KB40448955 actually is?? its not in the catalog and I do not have it on my FCU 1709 .
Or is this suppose to be KB4048955 which is the CU for 16299.64??

Reaction score
Here is what the new tool shows:
View attachment 7651
Notice that there are 2 versions of version 1709. The tool will not let me delete either of the files. Would appreciate some help.

After running the Update from Settings for over an hour, the latest 8955 ver 1709 finally downloaded and installed. Everything seems to be working ok. Thanks Virginia for the help and info!

Ask a Question