SOLVED Anniversary update still not received

Reaction score
Are there other people who have not received the Anniversary update yet 02 01 2017

Reaction score
A friend of mine has not. A marginal PC, I3, 4GB, 500 Mb HDD. And also on a net connection that imposes very severe throttling on long downloads.
We are planning to backup her machine and do a full install of the Anni update from a USB drive at some point.

Reaction score
If you mean the August 2016 Anniversary Update, I did get it, but it failed a dozen times. The "update" had some crap about a Chinese account and some nonsense about Hadron, as in the Hadron collider. If this is the 'best' that Microsoft can come up with, I can do without it.

I put Windows 10 on another hard drive and frankly I do not like it at all. I am on Windows 7 and will drive it until the wheels fall off.

Reaction score
- In the "advanced options" section for Update, I had the box " Give me updates for other Microsoft Products" checked. When I unchecked it updates stopped failing (error code 0x800705b4 was the usual result ) the update not only worked but also seemed to go a lot faster.

So I now have 1607 installed.

It's hard to believe that this is a cure, and it may just be a coincidence, but easy to try.

Reaction score
idler,

I did try that method, but it did not work. I booted into Windows 10 at 4:13PM (EST), unchecked the " Give me updates for other Microsoft Products" box, and ran the shortcut that I had saved on my desktop. At 6:22PM and 93%, the "Something went wrong" page popped up.

Microsoft has been doing "Windows Update" for at least two decades. With so many people having problems with it now, they obviously have bugs to work out. I will not waste another two hours trying to fix this again. I am back on Windows 7 now.

Reaction score
Same thing here. 1607 update fails (many times)
I am now about to try Windows Ultimate Tweaker from http://www.thewindowsclub.com/.
There is an option to disable windows update.

I gave up waiting or trying to "upgrade" and having it fail. In the end, I got a new hard disk and did a complete rebuild (my data sits on other disks or in my Synology cloud).

I still have the old disk if there is anything on there I need.

Now at 1607.

Alan

Reaction score
I did try that method, but it did not work. I unchecked the " Give me updates for other Microsoft Products" box, ran the shortcut I had saved on my desktop, and at 93%, "Something went wrong" page popped up.

Microsoft has been doing "Windows Update" for at least two decades. With so many people having problems with it now, they obviously have bugs to work out. I will not waste another two hours trying to fix this again. I am back on Windows 7 now.
That error wasn't due to Microsoft but your environment... if you believe otherwise, clean install, and you'll find it installs fine; ergo, it's not a Windows Update or Windows installer problem.
  • If you had antivirus enabled at the time of the update, that is likely the cause, especially if it employs HIPS.
All major updates to Windows 10 are, for all intents and purposes, a new install of Windows and it installs as such. The installation procedure is similar to the process of a Repair Install or Refresh (if a user made a custom Refresh image and then utilized the Refresh feature).

@Trident506 This applies to your situation as well.

I personally recommend two things for Windows 10 users:
  1. First and foremost, move all user files folders to a separate partition that Windows does not reside on. This makes it far more convenient for a multitude of reasons, especially for #2

2. Install MDT, configure it, and then utilize it when a major update is released for Windows. MDT takes 4+ hours to configure, which may take more or less depending on how many applications one has installed, but once configured, it will auto install Windows, all applications, and customize your PC with zero interaction from the user [Zero Touch Install (ZTI) or Light Touch Install (LTI)]
As much as Microsoft would like to believe their Refresh/Repair Install like way of pushing major updates works, it doesn't in a real world setting, same as hibernate doesn't and has never worked correctly, causing corruption upon waking, both on PCs as well as the Xbox One.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That error wasn't due to Microsoft but your environment... if you believe otherwise, clean install, and you'll find it installs fine; ergo, it's not a Windows Update or Windows installer problem.
  • If you had antivirus enabled at the time of the update, that is likely the cause, especially if it employs HIPS.
All major updates to Windows 10 are, for all intents and purposes, a new install of Windows and it installs as such. The installation procedure is similar to the process of a Repair Install or Refresh (if a user made a custom Refresh image and then utilized the Refresh feature).

@Trident506 This applies to your situation as well.

I personally recommend two things for Windows 10 users:
  1. First and foremost, move all user files folders to a separate partition that Windows does not reside on. This makes it far more convenient for a multitude of reasons, especially for #2

2. Install MDT, configure it, and then utilize it when a major update is released for Windows. MDT takes 4+ hours to configure, which may take more or less depending on how many applications one has installed, but once configured, it will auto install Windows, all applications, and customize your PC with zero interaction from the user [Zero Touch Install (ZTI) or Light Touch Install (LTI)]
As much as Microsoft would like to believe their Refresh/Repair Install like way of pushing major updates works, it doesn't in a real world setting, same as hibernate doesn't and has never worked correctly, causing corruption upon waking, both on PCs as well as the Xbox One.
JW O914
Please tell, what is "MDT" . What does it do and how do I get it
thanks

Reaction score
MDT = Microsoft Deployment Toolkit
You don't want this just to get updated.

Try this:
1. delete folder C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\XblGameSave
2. delete registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\XblGameSave
3. Re-run the update

Reaction score
Why would you delete the "Xbox Live game save" folder and keys to be able to update?? I think many users do not even use xbox live at all (at least I do not) therefore those folders and keys are not even there...

Reaction score
Why would you delete the "Xbox Live game save" folder and keys to be able to update?? I think many users do not even use xbox live at all (at least I do not) therefore those folders and keys are not even there...
Don't know why, but it worked for me on 2 machines that refused to update. Found the procedure on a Microsoft forum & gave it a try since I don't use xbox either.
Copied the procedure to a text filed called: "windows 10 cumulative update rolls back after 100 percent".
Google it & see for yourself.

Reaction score
I believe that it may work if the folder and registry keys are present but for the heck of it, I can't see a connection between this folder and the update procedure.... but that is just me....

Reaction score
Please tell, what is "MDT" . What does it do and how do I get it
As @Comp Cmndo mentioned, MDT is Microsoft Deployment Toolkit. It's a program that you import the Windows install media into, create an unattend.xml with Windows System Image Manager, import all your programs and driver install files, and finally configure a TS [Task Sequence] for your install. Once done, the install media is generated, at which point you boot to it and it auto installs Windows, all drivers, and all 3rd party software.
  • As with any clean install, OEM drivers must be installed prior to any Windows Updates or 3rd party software. Driver installs should be one of the first sequences in Audit mode (all Windows installs occur in 7 steps, audit [user] is step 6, OOBE [Out Of Box Experience] is step 7

MDT = Microsoft Deployment Toolkit
You don't want this just to get updated.
I've only had a major Windows update apply flawlessly one time out of the ten or so that I've experienced, so while MDT is by no means a requirement, if a user is having consistent stability issues after a major Windows Update, then it would likely be more convenient in the long term for the user to configure an MDT ZTI or LTI.
  • Convenience and efficiency matters, as more often than not, it is simply easier, faster, and far more convenient for a user to configure an LTI via MDT than troubleshoot the stability issues arising from a major update's installation process.
  • For the average user, configuring MDT would likely take ~4 hours, whereas troubleshooting, especially when doing so on a forum, is likely to take significantly longer.
    • Over the long term, an MDT config only takes minimal time to update programs and driver install files with the newest versions, and when a new major update is released, all one would need to do is replace the install.esd/wim in the operating systems folder, update the deployment share/media, then boot with the MDT install media and let it do it's thing.

Last edited:

Ask a Question