Please explain the difference between Creators Update & Anniversary Update

Reaction score
I currently have a Mac mini. The last version of Windows that I had was Vista. I'd like to give Windows another try.

I'm confused about the difference between the Creators Update & the Anniversary Update. When I see or hear the word "anniversary" I think once a year every year. Does Windows 10 have an anniversary update once a year every year or is there only 1 anniversary update & the rest are Creators Updates?

I read something about Windows 10 subscriptions on the internet. Are updates free or does one pay a subscription?

Reaction score
It was called anniversary as it came right around the OS' one-year "anniversary" It was the first official release of Windows 10 and, in the opinion of many, should have been called Windows 9.
The fancifully named "Creators" release is a major update, ironing out bugs and sorting out some of the complaints from users. Call it, if you will SP!, an expression with which you may be more familiar.
The initial free upgrade is no longer available, but Microsoft have opened a back door for latecomers. I think their intention is to get the vast majority of users on to 10.

Go here. Don't panic too much about the stated requirements, they are very tolerant.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Reaction score
Vista was followed by Windows 7, which was followed by Windows 8.0, which was followed by Windows 8.1, which was followed by Windows 10. Apparently, Microsoft is unaware of the number 9.

Windows 10 Desktop, goes something like this, there are no 10.x, but easier for some to understand. There are other designations, too, just to keep everyone confused.
Initial release (Threshold 1) (10.0)
November update (Threshold 2) (10.1)
Anniversary update (Redstone 1) (10.2)
Creators update (Redstone 2) (10.3) to be released 4/11/17, but available now for download.

Support for 10.0 is dropped.

There are also Windows 10 Mobile versions which are for phones.

Reaction score
It's more or less a service pack. Eventually (soon) it will be a forced upgrade like the Anniversary update. It can be downloaded and installed now if you wish (just follow davehc's link).

Reaction score
Vista was followed by Windows 7, which was followed by Windows 8.0, which was followed by Windows 8.1, which was followed by Windows 10. Apparently, Microsoft is unaware of the number 9.

Windows 10 Desktop, goes something like this, there are no 10.x, but easier for some to understand. There are other designations, too, just to keep everyone confused.
Creators update (Redstone 2) (10.3) to be released 4/11/17, but available now for download.

I seem to recall reading on the internet that Microsoft chose to not have windows 9 because maybe people would be confused because of the similarity between Windows 9 & Windows 95 & Windows 98. It makes sense to me.

Reaction score

You're right! It is confusing!

Reaction score
It was called anniversary as it came right around the OS' one-year "anniversary" It was the first official release of Windows 10 and, in the opinion of many, should have been called Windows 9.
The fancifully named "Creators" release is a major update, ironing out bugs and sorting out some of the complaints from users. Call it, if you will SP!, an expression with which you may be more familiar.
The initial free upgrade is no longer available, but Microsoft have opened a back door for latecomers. I think their intention is to get the vast majority of users on to 10.

Go here. Don't panic too much about the stated requirements, they are very tolerant.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

So, there's only one & only one anniversary update? I guess that makes sense.

Reaction score
It's more or less a service pack. Eventually (soon) it will be a forced upgrade like the Anniversary update. It can be downloaded and installed now if you wish (just follow davehc's link).

Maybe I misread it, but I think that I read somewhere on the internet, that when a creator's update comes out, one must nuke the hard drive & do a clean install. Did I misread what I read?

Reaction score
You did. I get my source OS's from a direct source, but I am assuming they run the same way. When you boot up from your media, it offers an update, which retains your data, or a clean install.

Reaction score
The Creators update starts its official rollout on Tuesday 11th. It will appear as a rather slow to download and install cumulative update but will be a major upgrade. On my main PC I did it in advance and it installed with no problems.

When you get the update it will retain all your data... in fact it is quite difficult to notice what the Creators Update changes.

As Dave says above, you could get the media and do a full install but if you pc is working right why bother.

Reaction score
no its false ... that update was very soft and running without any bug for hwat i see on many computer since last week

and i dont see so many updated thing

Maybe I misread it, but I think that I read somewhere on the internet, that when a creator's update comes out, one must nuke the hard drive & do a clean install. Did I misread what I read?

Ask a Question