Please explain...

Reaction score
I installed a program to help explain BSOD. I had one this morning while using Edge. Can someone please explain

"The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{4F5411BD-E072-4ABA-8F7F-7A01B511C984}. The backup browser is stopping."

Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
"The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{4F5411BD-E072-4ABA-8F7F-7A01B511C984}. The backup browser is stopping."
That does not look like a BSOD error nor something that is likely to cause a BSOD
The browser service is just a function / service within Windows (has been for many years) to locate a master browser on the local network that hosts a browse list of other network devices and resources..
http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

Reaction score
Trouble, after reading your post and the article, it seems that the three computers I have on my home network are having difficulty deciding who is the boss. I use a Windows 7 desktop that is upgraded to 10. However, my two Win 8 laptops, which have been upgraded to 10, have apparently elected one of themselves as the new master browser.

The article explains that when the rig with the master browser is turned off, it causes another election. Since my desktop is the only one turned on, it seems to be trying to contact one of the laptops and is not getting a reply.

Very informative article. At least I understand what is going on.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally speaking it depends on the order in which the machines are brought on to the network (powered on). All of those machines (operating systems) are quite capable and want to be the master browser.
I generally recommend, with that in mind, that folks generally bring the most robust machine (newest or latest OS) and or the machine that is less likely to go off line (powered off or disconnected from the network).
That should generally result in a fail-over to the backup browse master, but if both are not available then you end up with what you are seeing.
There is a lot of info out there about browser elections and master browsers but generally it doesn't produce any long term problems, over time in a peer to peer network, another browser election will be called and another master will be elected.

Ask a Question