Another KB update?

Reaction score
this was posted on another site,

I have no idea what/why this is for. I'm not sure if its some Insider update, or an update to the last build .222, that some people couldn't install , so I assume this one is to fix that.

question's are If the last KB to build .222 went OK, and my WU says my system is up to date, do I really need this? Some stated that the last KB Bld .222 was some "insider" update, but as a non-insider I got it as others did via WU. This would update the build to .223.

(BTW this silly name "insiders" is really nothing more than a glorified name for volunteer beta testers)

===========================================================================================

Microsoft has released Cumulative Update KB3197356 which will bring the build number to 14393.223 for PC.

This cumulative update resolves an issue in which some sites do not load in Microsoft Edge after KB3194496 is installed. This issue occurs when a user is on a page that specifies a character encoding hint that isn't present on the computer, and the user browses from that page to a location that uses HTTP redirection.

Windows 10 updates are cumulative. Therefore, this package contains all previously released fixes. If you have installed previous updates, only the new fixes that are contained in this package will be downloaded and installed to your computer. If you are installing a Windows 10 update package for the first time, the package for the x86 version is 411 MB and the package for the x64 version is 779 MB.

UPDATE: It appears that not all users can see this CU in Windows Update, but you can manually download it using the links from Microsoft servers below.

Windows 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.223 (KB3197356) direct download links

Reaction score
OK my friends :) Just FYI

I D/Led the 64bit .cab file and installed it, it went OK, after installing and rebooting I now have Bld 223.

Don't exactly know just what "big" changes this made, but it was over 700mg file.

BTW, to install a .bat file its a bit different than just clicking on a .exe or doing the WU thing. It doesn't say anything about re booting either, you just have to assume that. If someone needs the specifics on how to do it let me know. I have a small reg file that you add to your registry to get it to run.

This may show up next Tuesday in WU anyway.

Reaction score
Even though a response may be a little late regarding this KB3197356 but I think it was released as a fixer upper due to the fact that the CU to 14393.222 had a lot of problems being installed (Not on my PC's though).

Reaction score
Not 100% sure, but I think this thread should be in the insider section, before confusion arises??

Reaction score
Why? Version 1607 used to be at that level before MS released another CU (10-8-2016) which takes the version to 14393.321 .
The KB3197356 was released by the end of September 2016.

Reaction score
´"Why? Version 1607 used to be at th......"

Sorry. I was looking at the first 2 (Hoody) posts, and your follow up. I have no record in my history of ever having a build 222. (Currently on 321). I assumed 22 was an insider build, therefore.
I see , from Troubles link, that it was in sep. Like the op, I have what it was.
LOL. Lost track of what this thread is about!

Reaction score
Maybe the last post date should be in 16pt BOLD. This must be the third zombie thread since Xmas!

Reaction score
If i do not update,is it safe for me
Welcome to the forum.
You should post a new thread, or find one more relevant to your enquiry. This one is very old.
But, is it safe? Well, if you have knowledge of a good way to totally stop updates, then, of course, it would be wise to install your own antivirus program. Other than that, if you are 100% happy with the way your OS is performing, then I would not see anything unsafe except, of course, one day in the future, it may be "unsupported", whatever that entails.

Ask a Question