Another Start Menu not working

Reaction score
I have 2 computers running Win 10, both were converted shortly after Win10 was released and both have worked fine until recently. Now I'm getting the Start Menu not working error. and Cortana not responding, on one of them. I have seen the reply from Vince Massi with the 3 suggested solutions (Regedit, sfc and Dism) and done all three of those but no change, neither sfc nor Dism found any errors. There are 3 ID's on that computer, 2 are working fine, the other gives this error every time I click the Start Menu.

Any other suggestions for a fix?

Many thanks
Ian

Reaction score
Ian, there are some other suggestions.

Run System Restore. If that doesn't work, try Malwarebytes with a deep scan (which will take a while). I notice that you didn't try PowerShell, which solved the problem for me.

Reaction score
Ian, there are some other suggestions.

Run System Restore. If that doesn't work, try Malwarebytes with a deep scan (which will take a while). I notice that you didn't try PowerShell, which solved the problem for me.
Thanks for your reply Vince.

I have now tried Malwarebytes, it didn't find anything although I could not find a "Deep" option, I did try every setting I could find.
I have also tried a Powershell, nothing found.
Then I tried a System Restore, or at least I tried to try it. It seems to have been turned off but I have no idea how because I would never turn it off. I turned it back on but there are no restore points to go back to.
I did find this post:
http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/com...64984e6cd9ca&dclid=CObio_3q98sCFc16fgodWfwDoA
which talks about fixing it by creating a new ID and transferring all the settings but I don't know how to do that and it does not explain how to transfer things like the desktop and the items that used to be on my Start Menu. Can anyone explain?

I'm also interested in that Start Menu replacement that you mentioned, what exactly will that give me?

Edit: Just in case I went and checked the other computer running Win10 and found that restores were turned off on that one also so maybe this is a (really bad) default?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ian, if you download the free Classic Shell Start Button, that will solve your Start Button problem. However, it will not get Cortana to work if that is also malfunctioning.

Reaction score
I was wondering where the Classic Shell could be download and I now know that. I was also interested in what exactly I would get after installation. For example (and possibly most importantly), would I see entries on it's menu for all the installed items that appeared on my (now unworking) Start Menu?

Reaction score
Classic Shell will be set up a little differently than the Windows Start Button. It has its own Settings, so you can set it up the way you want. And Yes, it works well on Windows 10.

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed Classic Start Button and it is working fine, no issues except I somehow got a yellow on brown colour scheme which startling to say the least, Cortana still doesn't work but I never used it anyway so that's no loss. I'd really like to fix the issue something though.
Thanks for your help

Ask a Question