Copy User Profile to another Computer

Reaction score
Hello,
I have multiple compters with Windows 10 Single Language, I want to copy or to put a tech profile or admin profile on these computers, but insted of creating one by one, I want to make set up one in one computer and copy it to the rest with a USB stick. Can this be done in Windows 10?

Thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Marco,

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a couple of ways to achieve this, so I explain the two methods, starting with the trickier way first, then a slightly simpler way second.

Option 1
  • Right-click on Start and select Settings
  • In the Windows Settings dialog select Update & Security
  • On the left side select Backup
  • Now in main window click the hyperlinked: Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
img1.png
  • In the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) dialog that opens click the hyperlinked: Set up backup
img2.png
  • You will now see the following dialog, which may take a minute to complete its task, subject to size of stored files and settings.
img3.png

When this task is completed you'll see a new Dialog like so:

img4.png

It will recommend a location to save to, but if you want to save to a USB Thumb drive or another drive not yet connected to your computer, simply connect this drive, then click the Refresh button so it is displayed in the list of options.
  • Select the drive you intend to save to, then click Next
  • On the next dialog select the second radio button next to Let me choose

After clicking Next you will be presented with a new dialog summarizing your setup.

Note: By default all user profiles create is checked and the second box checked will be the current signed-in Userprofile, and down below the box next to Save a system image ... is also checked.

As you only want to save a specific profile and copy it to other computers:
  • Remove the first check and also remove the check down below as illustrated
img5.png
  • When you have things setup click the Next button
  • Now on the other computers you wish to copy the profile to, simply open the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) dialog on these other computers, and restore the profile from the drive you saved the profile to, by clicking the hyperlinked: Select another backup to restore files from

Option 2
  • Press your Windows key + S to give focus to the search field
  • In the search field type ad then in search results select View advanced system settings
img7.png
  • This will open the System Properties dialog with the Advanced tab selected. In the User Profiles pane click the Settings button
img8.png
  • The User Profiles dialog will open. Select the User profile you want to copy, then click Copy To
img9.png
  • You'll now see another dialog where you select the path to copy profile to. If your computers are all networked you will find this way of doing the profile copy much easier in my opinion.
img10.png

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question