Anti virus

Reaction score
What do you guys use as a free anti virus.
I had Mucafee which came pre-installed on my lap top which was working for a while then just got stuck and wouldn't scan.
I have used Avast in the past but don't know which is best for W10 o_O
Advice appreciated.

Reaction score
I think a poll will show a large number use the built-in Windows Defender, it has become much better than its predecessor Microsoft Security Essentials.

Bif

Reaction score
Oh yes the dreaded "OneCare"!... forever etched in my memory.
I use exclusively, Defender full time and Malwarebytes free as an on demand scan.
Happy with both, I'm not an online risk taker or what I refer to as a "happy clicker" so they serve my humble needs.

Reaction score
Windows Defender on all my Windows 10 machines, Avast on my Windows 7 systems.....

Reaction score
I used to be a fan of Avira until MS upgraded Defender. Defender on all my machines now.
MS update Defender definitions multiple times a day, everyday.

Reaction score
Bitdefender on this PC, Avast on my other. I don't have any PC's running Windows Defender. It may be improved, but it's detection rates lag way behind most other free offerings.

Reaction score
BigFeet I checked out what you said about Bitdefender. All the reviews I read said it's detection rate was 99.9% effective. Decided to download and take it for a test drive. After the initial scan (slow) I like what I see and the protection it offers. Thanks!

Reaction score
BigFeet I checked out what you said about Bitdefender. All the reviews I read said it's detection rate was 99.9% effective. Decided to download and take it for a test drive. After the initial scan (slow) I like what I see and the protection it offers. Thanks!
Many thanks for your replies
I have now installed Bit finder and it seems to be good as Norton said it's a bit slow but I guess that's because it's doing a good job.
Some of the other anti viruses seem to be faster which makes you think are they really doing the job properly.;)

Reaction score
Defender01 Bitdefender is slow on the initial system scan only. After the first scan, it's quite fast.

Reaction score
You're welcome. The initial scan is extremely slow. I like it because as far as a free virus scan goes, Bitdefender is the least intrusive and extremely lightweight. It may not be as lightweight as Windows Defender, but it's pretty close. I'll admit, Windows Defender has gotten better, but I still don't quite trust it's detection rates yet.

Ask a Question