SOLVED Any Insiders testing Reset operations?

Reaction score
Since I no longer have the ability to do general testing, I was wondering if any of the Insiders had actually tested different scenarios regarding a System Reset. I am mainly referring to a Full Reset but if I test I will check both ways, with and without keeping personal data.

I would be interested in knowing, for sure, what happens with something like you made a Recovery Drive using version XXXXX1.1 and updates had changed your install to XXXXX1.200, what version would the Reset be -- would it even work?

Does the downloadable Install media available in the same build and version number of the recently installed cumulative updates? I suppose I could check that myself, so I will if no one knows already.

I have to assume a Reset using the install media would set the install back to the basic Build and you would have to go through the cumulative updates again... has that been seen?

If no one has any answers, I suppose I need to get my old machine out and do some testing. :eek:

Regedit32

Reaction score
I have not tried a reset in ages, but ...

The last one I did I chose to keep files & settings, and allowed it to update as it did its thing.

Took ages, but at end I had Current build with updates installed so the Build X.XXX changed (the bit after the decimal point updated I mean.)

So far as I know that would be still be the case but given how long it took the last time I'd prefer not to be the Guinea pig at the moment :D

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I will set my old system up and play a bit. It is probably better I do it because I can decide exactly what I want to test.

I did download the .iso file today and it still shows 14393.0 which would fit with what you describe as far as installing updates. A Recovery Drive should reset to the version when it was made...

Off I go ... :)

Reaction score
Well, now I know.. :)

One thing I noticed was the comment about the Reset changing a modified OS partition back to the original size. This got my attention because I had changed a 2 TB drive an added extra partitions which shrank the C partition. I could not create a Recovery Drive until I went back to the Factory configuration. So maybe one more thing to add to suggestions as to Reset failures.

A Reset is basically a clean install. It may keep some personal files and settings but not many and it will uninstall your programs and apps.

No matter if I started the Reset from within Windows or used a Recovery Drive, the install went back to the basic build which in this case was 14393.0.

I might even go out on a limb and suggest if a system will create a Recovery Drive, it should be able to complete a Reset from within windows without the need for external media.

Edit: I just tried to use the install media for 10586 to reset a 14393 system and got that message about having a problem and not being able to reset.. which was the same message the poster in the linked thread received.

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-10-factory-reset.10960/

Last edited:

Ask a Question