SOLVED OK, If I continue the Insiders Program, I auto accept terms?

Reaction score
Just got this e-mail from the Insiders program talking changing the terms. It says if I continue with the Insider's Program, I automatically accept its terms.

I got out of the program when the first public build was released but they continue to send e-mails and show me as an Insider on the Microsoft site...

It gives instructions on how to leave the program, so, if I sign into the Insider's Program to leave it I will be actually proving I am still in it.

I know, it probably doesn't make any difference, I just don't like agreeing to something I have no contact with.

I did try the link to leave the program and it just looked at me without opening .. Maybe so many folks are trying to get out, the site crashed o_O

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Haven't received any such email so far.
Guess I'll wait and see if I do.
Maybe because I remain relatively active they assume that I'm onboard with any changes in their terms.

I hope there's no restriction in the new terms about talking bad about them.

Reaction score
They say the rules are going active tomorrow (Sept. 14, 2017). They did a good job giving me 6 hours notice for something I did 2 years ago...

The only thing I am concerned with, since I have not run a Preview Build is, if they grant themselves permission to gather more than normal data from my system.

I tried the "leave the program" site again and got a 504 error. It may also not go active until tomorrow. I have a feeling this new build is going to change the way Win 10 is being offered to the public. Wait and see, I suppose.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wait and see, I suppose
Yep.
I've been seeing some stuff reporting that some privacy settings / enhancements are going to be included in the Fall Creators Update.
Sometimes, when a company changes their privacy terms (plus or minus) I think they are suppose to report it

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just got mine

Capture.PNG

Looks pretty innocuous.
Pass the KoolAid and cut me off a slice of that.

Reaction score
I got the mail. The "link" takes you to a page dated 2015, so I guess it isn't up yet?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The link it down for me too - it seems a little strange to alert people to a change or terms and then not provide the details (as we'll have to try again in a few days, when we've forgotten!). I'm sure the changes are perfectly acceptable, but it would make sense to hold off e-mailing about them until they're live o_O.

Reaction score
We will have to wait and see. I don't think,imho, there is anything to worry about. As I read it, it applies to now and into the future. We can get out of the "insider" program at any time . The rules only apply if you stay in.

Reaction score
Pretty straight forward legalise, (Can I say that ?? lol), Trouble.
I am glad they including, positively, the bit about backing up before doing anything.
As they are, apparently, including all software, it seems very similar to the MVP status, which I have just dumped, but without the 'perqs.. Those who do not have a lot of time to spare had best be a little wary of continuing in the program!
Those who have a neurosis, regarding their peronal security,had best note:

"You acknowledge that Microsoft will be collecting, using, storing, processing and analyzing diagnostic, technical, error reports, crash dumps, usage and other related data from your devices that are running Software as part of this Program to help Microsoft improve our products and services. If location services are enabled, the real-time geographic location of your device and location search queries may be collected as well.
The WIP Services may automatically collect and provide data to Microsoft, which may include your personal information."

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... "nothing to see here folks" move along now. :)

That backup advise will likely go as unheeded as the fact that.....
Installing beta software on a production machine or actually any machine that you rely on for anything that matters is insane and just asking for problems (self inflicted).

They don't call it "beta" anymore but the fact is, that is what it is and no euphemisms changes that.
Seems like they could simplify the whole deal with a couple sentences

"We see and know everything about you and your computer, all of which we collect and keep forever"
AND
"You break it, you buy it. Nothing is our fault, it's all on you."

Reaction score
Well, I clicked on the link to leave the program and got a big "Welcome Back" message. I looked around the site and never saw a place to leave the program.

I did see they are showing a different sign in experience, which I did not try but it looks like they just changed the sign-in box.

I will keep trying to see if I can find a "Leave the Program" option but since I left two years ago, I may never get one.

Thanks.

Reaction score
"Posted: September 2017; Effective: September 15, 2017"

See post #9 and the following posts. Trouble passed on the update/valid link

Reaction score
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/
This also comes into play
1. What does M$ consider Reverse Engineering? Does this include using Reg Hacks and programs such as Windows 10 Manager?
2. They want you to use and test every app.
3. They want you to use Edge
4. They want you to use One Drive

They set all of these rules yet after almost 3 years it takes 4 to 6 hours to install a build. Some Builds will not even install.
They have a HUB where you are supposed to report problems and they ask for your email address at times but never contact you.
They should have left the Insiders Hub separate from the main HUB.
It seems that any form of organization left M$ when Gabe Aul was replaced..

I am official out and damn glad of it.

Reaction score
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/

They should have left the Insiders Hub separate from the main HUB.
It seems that any form of organization left M$ when Gabe Aul was replaced..

I am official out and damn glad of it.

I think that what has happened is that the attention of the W10 Fall update team has been moved to the next release...the Skip Ahead Redstone 3 leaving one very competent junior engineer and about 1/4 of Dona's attention to finish off the fall update.

Or. Maybe the new bug rate has got very slow so they are just bored stiff fixing all the minor stuff in Edge.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think that what has happened is that the attention of the W10 Fall update team has been moved to the next release...the Skip Ahead Redstone 3 leaving one very competent junior engineer and about 1/4 of Dona's attention to finish off the fall update.

Or. Maybe the new bug rate has got very slow so they are just bored stiff fixing all the minor stuff in Edge.
You see take GM gfor example, they still have to build good current year cars before they start on the next years model. This skip ahead thing should not have happened. Going twice for a two week period without an RS3 build has done nothing but put the release 30 days past the original due date..

Reaction score
Another "Wrinkle" for you.
I opened an email on my laptop describing a new build. I checked out the info and deleted the email but later that same day I got a windows update that failed - something about my laptop not being compatible.
Several days later I got a build that replaced my whole OS. No way to recover/reset.
I called Microsoft who said since I got the build in error they would reset me once I gave remote access.
They did which is when I found a new Windows Update setting called "Windows Insider program" that you have to manually set to turn off automatic build installs
Also the "restored" OS would boot up and freeze. I had to do a clean re-install

Reaction score
Another "Wrinkle" for you.
I opened an email on my laptop describing a new build. I checked out the info and deleted the email but later that same day I got a windows update that failed - something about my laptop not being compatible.
Several days later I got a build that replaced my whole OS. No way to recover/reset.
I called Microsoft who said since I got the build in error they would reset me once I gave remote access.
They did which is when I found a new Windows Update setting called "Windows Insider program" that you have to manually set to turn off automatic build installs
Also the "restored" OS would boot up and freeze. I had to do a clean re-install

Who sent the email. I have NEVER had emails about the Insider builds. I have had an email from MS about a new release like Anniversary or Creators but they were addressed through my Microsoft account...nothing personal in there.

The default for that Windows Insider setting in a production build is OFF.

Ask a Question