Anybody au fait with Microsoft OneDrive?

Reaction score
I use OneDrive for certain documents that I have.

When working on one computer in my house, let’s say, ‘Computer 1’ and I put an Excel document (timesheet) that I’m working on in OneDrive on this computer. I put an entry in this document and this will also sync and show up on ‘Computer 2.’

If then go to ‘Computer 2,’ sure enough the Excel document and entry that I put on ‘Computer 1’ is there.

I then do it the other way around. This means I put another entry in the same Excel document on ‘Computer 2.’ I thought this should then sync with and show up on ‘Computer 1’ but I noticed it doesn’t when doing it this way around.

All of the OneDrive folders and files on both computers are showing with full green circles and white check marks on them.

Can anybody tell me what I may have done to stop ‘Computer 2’ entries syncing with ‘Computer 1’ and what I can do to put it right?

Thanks

HB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, it should do as you described. Have you got the Excel document closed on "Computer 1" when updating it from "Computer 2"? Having the excel file open in 2 places at the same time will cause problems - this may not be the case here, but worth mentioning.

Are you using OneDrive with a personal Microsoft account, or with an O365 subscription?

If you log in to https://onedrive.live.com/ can you see that the file has been sync'd correctly? i.e. updated with the correct entry in excel. This should let us know if Computer 1 isn't pushing the update to OneDrive, or Computer 2 isn't detecting the change correctly.

Reaction score
@Wolfie:
thanks for that support link but I did not see anything relevant to my problem in there.

@Ian:
when I’m updating and performing changes in the Excel document on “Computer 2,” the Excel document on “Computer 1 is always closed because that particular computer is always off and in a completely different room.

I have a personal Microsoft account and I also have Microsoft Office 2016 (not a O365 subscription).

Regarding going to OneDrive.live.com on the net; the Excel timesheet in here and on both the other computers are up-to-date and correct now because I changed the Excel timesheet in “Computer 1” manually. I won’t be able to try this until I next go to “Computer 2,” update the Excel timesheet there and then check whether it has registered on OneDrive.live.com. The next time I can try this on “Computer 2” will be Wednesday so I will keep you posted after that and let you know the outcome.

I did notice that on the Excel document in OneDrive.live.com, the little white circle above it did not have a check mark on it but saying that, nor did any of the other documents in there.

If for any reason it does not register in OneDrive.live.com when I change it next in “Computer 2,” what does this mean and how do you fix it so that it does register?

Thanks

HB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks, that should be an interesting test.

If for any reason it does not register in OneDrive.live.com when I change it next in “Computer 2,” what does this mean and how do you fix it so that it does register?

It would just give an indication of which end the problem may be at - as for fixing it, the first thing I'd probably suggest is unlinking OneDrive and them re-add it, then go from there. But I'll do some reading up in the meantime and see if I can find some more diagnostic tools by the time you've done the test.

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, I appreciate that.

Just out of interest, which computer do I unlink or do I unlink both of them?

HB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Ian, I appreciate that.

Just out of interest, which computer do I unlink or do I unlink both of them?

HB

If the file changes weren't reflected in the OneDrive portal after saving changes on Computer 2, I'd re-link that one. If they are reflected there, I'd re-link Computer 1.

Ask a Question