SOLVED ATI Moblity Radeon X600 display adapter Driver

Reaction score
Just upgraded my Lenovo ThinkCentre to Windows 10 and the ATI Moblity Radeon X600 display adapter is not detected by the system. Instead there is a standard Basic Microsoft Display Adapter with poor results. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Reaction score
It's not supported in Windows 10. Had the same issue with my Dell laptop a year ago. My ATI Xpress 1150 graphics aren't even detected. I never could find a workaround. I installed Linux Mint on it and never looked back.

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a graphics card that would install on the A55 desk top pc that is supported with drivers for Windows 10? Just basic support for a Viewsonic VA902b display, no gaming ,no fancy stuff just something better than the generic MS graphics driver

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF from what I can find with regards to that Lenovo A55 Desktop this one
https://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-GeFor...id=1470694851&sr=1-2&keywords=pcie+video+card
OR
Something very similar should work. It looks like you have at least one older PCIe slot on that motherboard that will accept that card, it's only a 1x slot but that 2x card should work without a problem, just not at 2x.
Slots
One full-length, full-height, PCI Express x1
SOURCE: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/migr-65975
That particular card uses this driver http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/105037/en-us

Reaction score
I missed the part about it being a think"center", not a think"pad", sorry. What Trouble said.

Reaction score
IF from what I can find with regards to that Lenovo A55 Desktop this one
https://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-GeFor...id=1470694851&sr=1-2&keywords=pcie+video+card
OR
Something very similar should work. It looks like you have at least one older PCIe slot on that motherboard that will accept that card, it's only a 1x slot but that 2x card should work without a problem, just not at 2x.

SOURCE: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/migr-65975
That particular card uses this driver http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/105037/en-us

from roger attila
Sorry,I gave you the wrong PC Info. It is a Lenovo ThinkCenter Model A51 with the system called 812255U. I don't know if that will be a problem or not. I should be able to remove the ATI Radeon X600 PRO 1`128 MB Graphics adapter card and plug in the new
EVGA GeForce GT 610 2048MB GDDR3, DVI, VGA and HDMI Graphics Card 02G-P3-2619-KRCard .
Also someone says that you need a 300 w for the GeForce GT 610 and I am not sure If I have that or not. All I want is a Graphics card that will have its own memory and nothing fancy as you can see by the Radeon X600 that is installed. Since there is not a Win10 Driver for my X600 card it defaulted to the basic MS display driver and my display is almost unusable.

On the PS question it looks as if the machine type 8122 55U has a 310 watt PS so that should be OK. So what I plan to do is get the GeForce GT 610 card and plug it in the slot where I removed the Radeon X600 card. Then I should be able to download the driver for Win !0 to support that Ge Force card. Does that sound reasonable as I still want to keep using my Viewsonic VA902b display?

Roger Attila

Last edited:
Reaction score
I ran a program that is supposed to tell me all system details. On the CPU it starts with Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.4GHz.
Next line is PCI Bus, then 4 lines indented under PCI Bus.
ACPI Power Button.
Intel 82801 FB/FBM SMBus Controller - 266A.
Intel 915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GE/GL Processor to I/O Controller - 2580.
Intel(R) 915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GE/GL PCI Express Root Port - 2581
Then Video Controller
Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Generic PnP Monitor
This looks like the driver that was loaded by Windows 10 because the installed ATI Radeon X600 PRO graphics adapter card isn't supported.
Further down in a 50 page printout there is a entry called: Motherboard
Mfg: IBM
Model: IBM (LGA775/PSC/TJS
Chipset Vendor: Intel
Chipset Model: i915P/i915G
So according to this the card should work. Is that how you would take this?

Roger

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'd say yes, but....
I would just look at the board.
It either has a PCIe slot or it doesn't. Assuming that your current x600 is a PCIe card then....
Swapping it out shouldn't be a problem.

Reaction score
I'd say yes, but....
I would just look at the board.
It either has a PCIe slot or it doesn't. Assuming that your current x600 is a PCIe card then....
Swapping it out shouldn't be a problem.

Yes there is the Radeon card in the slot I will use for a Windows 10 compatible card. Now the cared that was suggested is the GeForce GT 610 . someone says that you need a 300 w for this card. I found out on the LENOVO website that the PS is a 230 w for the 8122 A51 PC. This may be a problem I suppose, but I will try to find a Win 10 supported graphics card that doesn't require that much power. If anyone has suggestions they are most welcome.
Roger

Reaction score
Yes there is the Radeon card in the slot I will use for a Windows 10 compatible card. Now the cared that was suggested is the GeForce GT 610 . someone says that you need a 300 w for this card. I found out on the LENOVO website that the PS is a 230 w for the 8122 A51 PC. This may be a problem I suppose, but I will try to find a Win 10 supported graphics card that doesn't require that much power. If anyone has suggestions they are most welcome.
Roger
More from Roger. Will this card work on my ThinkCentre? (ASUS GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Ready Video Card, EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP)
NVIDIA web site had a driver to download for Window 10 32 bit for this card. Price on Amazon looks reasonable. I don't need anything fancy asa I don't game or anything that needs super graphics. I just want my display to work and to be able to adjust the resolution settings.

Roger

Reaction score
I believe you need a pcie x1 compliant video card. There's a few on newegg, but I'd look close at the pcie slot on the riser first to make sure it matches. This one is out of stock, but I think it's the one you're looking for. The rest are much older cards that might run in to the same issue you're having now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1UH4BP2509

edit: also I think you only have a 220 watt power supply. This, as most low end cards "require" at least a 300 watt power supply. That's not to say it won't work. Those requirements are usually conservative. But it's a little iffy if it's not a quality power supply.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I looked at my motherboard and the 4 PCI slots that I have. The first slot at the outside edge of the mother board is a PCIE_1 slot and is open. The 2nd slot up is a PCI2 slot and is in use for my diskette drive. The 3rd slot up is a PCI1 slot and is used for my modem card that isn't used anymore so it is available.
The 4th slot up is a PCIE_16 slot and this is where my not supported by Windows 10 driver Graphics display card (Gigabyte ATI Radeon X600 PRO) is installed. That card will be removed. Therefore I will/can have 3 open PCI slots to install a Windows 10 driver compatible graphics/dispaly card. 1 PCIE_1 slot, 1 PCI2 slot and 1 PCIE_16 slot. So finding a card with specific slot requirements should not be a problem as I have a choice of open slots..
Now for the power supply requirement: This PC has a 230W PS and this may be an issue.
This is what I have come up with so far
ASUS or MSI GT 710 with NVIDIA chipset. They tell me that all standalone video cards spec is 300W PS but in chat sessions they tell me that my 230W PS will work. I plan to give this a shot unless anyone can tell me that i am off base. Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.
Roger

Reaction score
Ok, so you do have a pcie x16 slot then. The gt 710 will probably be your best bet then. It's semi modern (just a couple generations old), so it should be supported for quite some time. Id say you should be ok with the psu, as long as you're not doing any overclocking or adding a whole bunch of other peripherals. According to Cooler Master's power supply calculator, with everything at stock speeds, and with the gt 710, peak draw should be about 217 watts. That's a close call, but you should be ok.

edit... I put my old ati hd4670 in my dad's pc with a 300 watt power supply about 2 years ago. That card "requires" a 400 watt power supply. I've had no issues, and even stress tested the card (at 100% load) for 30 minutes without a hiccup.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, so you do have a pcie x16 slot then. The gt 710 will probably be your best bet then. It's semi modern (just a couple generations old), so it should be supported for quite some time. Id say you should be ok with the psu, as long as you're not doing any overclocking or adding a whole bunch of other peripherals. According to Cooler Master's power supply calculator, with everything at stock speeds, and with the gt 710, peak draw should be about 217 watts. That's a close call, but you should be ok.

edit... I put my old ati hd4670 in my dad's pc with a 300 watt power supply about 2 years ago. That card "requires" a 400 watt power supply. I've had no issues, and even stress tested the card (at 100% load) for 30 minutes without a hiccup.

I am ordering a new vs used GT 710 with Win 10 32 bit driver that will plug into the PCIE slot vacated by my not supported Radeon card. Thank you all for your help. I will report back to this site once I have the product installed and running to let you know of my experience.

Roger Attila

Reaction score
Just upgraded my Lenovo ThinkCentre to Windows 10 and the ATI Moblity Radeon X600 display adapter is not detected by the system. Instead there is a standard Basic Microsoft Display Adapter with poor results. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Update -

ATI Radeon X600 works with Windows 10, up to 3 monitors, just need the correct drivers.

Found the solution from XDA forum, look for
"ATI Catalyst 12.11 B11 HotFix 11.0" at mediafire.com download site.

To run 3 monitors needs a DVI-I to DVI-D & VGA splitter, gives DVI, VGA and S-video out.
Win 10 sees all 3 monitors, lets you switch among all 3, but only outputs to 2 at a time.
Allows mirroring [1/2] and spanning [1+2] and supports Win+P swapping between the 2 active screens.

Last edited:

Ask a Question