SOLVED NAS recommendations

Reaction score
From another thread I posted about accessing the c$ on computers on my network, an idea formed. What if I just had a NAS setup, then any computer on my network (including visitors to the house), can access data.

Now I am looking for suggestions on a decent NAS, with network access (not USB). Any ideas?

I know I probably want one with 2 hard drives in it, for redundancy and to setup a RAID of sorts.
Alas, that might be on the expensive side.

Regardless, looking for ideas.

Thanks all

Reaction score
I have 2 WDC 2TB NAS drives attached to my Wireless Router via Ethernet cable [plus 2 Networked printers]. Any computer I Map the Public folder on either drive can read and write. Wireless Routers usually have 4 Ethernet ports. The drives set in File Explorer are lettered with Z: and Y:, Windows usually started with Z: for the first Mapped and worked back up the alphabet.

Reaction score
@Bighorn any issues with them at all?
And, when coping to/from, does it seem rather quick?

Thanks
Read and Write obviously is not quite as quick as with Internal drives and the distance computer to Router to NAS will be a factor but mine are within 4 feet of the Wired computers while the Wireless computers/Notebooks are less than 30 feet away. Most times the speed is comparable to USB 2 but a lot depends upon the file size for how long a transfer takes.

If I were to want RAID I'd go for the 2 identical drives in the same box. I've seen one advertised at 8TB [2x 4TB].

Reaction score
I have an ancient ( like 2010) Dlink NAS with 2 1TB drives. Connected 1Gbs ethernet to the router. This ancient box is running aftermarket free software. I use it for backup and storage.

It works and it was cheap in 2010 If I was going to buy a new one I would go for a NAS that could support 4 drives on 1GB ethernet and have IPV6 which the old one does not. No interest in USB connection but I guess any new NAS will have USB C and maybe even Thunderbolt.

Reaction score
If your new NAS is on ethernet to the router, preferably with a good quality Cat 6 cable you should be as good as you can be on speed upto 30-40 feet. Assuming that your router's LAN ports can manage 1GBs simultaneously...and not all routers that claim 1Gbs can do that.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend Synology NAS units, they're very reliable :). I do like QNAP for NAS devices, but I've had poor experience with reliability and tech support (their hardware is better, but the software is less reliable).

If you won't be using Plex, Docker or other services on the NAS and just need a file server with RAID support, something like this may be suitable:

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-bay-DiskStation-DS218j-Diskless/dp/B076G6YKWZ/

Reaction score
Thanks!

As a matter of fact, I just found this QNAP. I will research it a little more...

I'd highly recommend Synology NAS units, they're very reliable :). I do like QNAP for NAS devices, but I've had poor experience with reliability and tech support (their hardware is better, but the software is less reliable).

If you won't be using Plex, Docker or other services on the NAS and just need a file server with RAID support, something like this may be suitable:

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-bay-DiskStation-DS218j-Diskless/dp/B076G6YKWZ/

Reaction score
Here's what I have. https://www.wd.com/products/personal-cloud-storage/my-cloud.html

A model of Western Digital's "My Cloud".

It's plugged into my Ethernet hub in my home and has worked flawlessly for a little over a year now.

My wife and both access it and share files and such via this device.

I also store my Windows 10 pc backup images there as well.

I think it quite fast.

I can listen to music stored on this device as well as watch movies stored there without "jerkyness".

I can also access it over the Internet (from my Android phone) if I find that I need something when I'm away from home.

One more thing.
During set up, I was having an issue (I'm kind of "thick" when it comes to things like this.) and the Western Digital support folks were really REALLY helpful. In fact, they wouldn't let me off the phone until things were working to my satisfaction. (They called me so it was on their dime.)

Anyway, hope this is of some little help to you.

Ray in Wisconsin

Reaction score
Far from thick, I would say. Considering you went out and purchased and setup a NAS, that in itself is brilliant...

Here's what I have. https://www.wd.com/products/personal-cloud-storage/my-cloud.html

A model of Western Digital's "My Cloud".

It's plugged into my Ethernet hub in my home and has worked flawlessly for a little over a year now.

My wife and both access it and share files and such via this device.

I also store my Windows 10 pc backup images there as well.

I think it quite fast.

I can listen to music stored on this device as well as watch movies stored there without "jerkyness".

I can also access it over the Internet (from my Android phone) if I find that I need something when I'm away from home.

One more thing.
During set up, I was having an issue (I'm kind of "thick" when it comes to things like this.) and the Western Digital support folks were really REALLY helpful. In fact, they wouldn't let me off the phone until things were working to my satisfaction. (They called me so it was on their dime.)

Anyway, hope this is of some little help to you.

Ray in Wisconsin

Reaction score
Personally for small storage requirements I've used Synology DS-213j and have had good luck. In fact I was able to restore a crashed/corrupted DS system using linux (775GB worth of storage on one particular unit fully recovered)

Reaction score
I have 2 WDC 2TB NAS drives attached to my Wireless Router via Ethernet cable [plus 2 Networked printers]. Any computer I Map the Public folder on either drive can read and write. Wireless Routers usually have 4 Ethernet ports. The drives set in File Explorer are lettered with Z: and Y:, Windows usually started with Z: for the first Mapped and worked back up the alphabet.
i have used my wd duo personal home network/cloud set up in the same way for 4 yrs or whenever it first came out. it has been flawless, no issues at all for all this time. i know they have upgraded the same basic idea over the years, and prices start off for 4tb 2 drive set ups under $200 for sure and well under on any sales. well worth it. they go up to over 12tb and 4 hard drives, mechanical still in green and red i know of. havent check out new products there in a while. i am a fan of WD but other brands make similar and you can diy buying enclosures and picking drive choices too

Reaction score
I would also recommend looking at Synology, Have been using one for a few years. You pick the drives you want and install them. I recommend a 2 bay minimum for the redundancy. If a drive starts having issues, it will notify you so you can replace the drive right away.

Also has external access so when you get to the Vet and forgot your records, you can pull it up on your phone and show them whatever info they need. LOL

Ours is an older slower one so I didn't set up the music streaming or other built in options.

Ask a Question