Auto Update BS

Reaction score
Now that I'm getting ready to start thinking about updating to 2009. My machine automatically downloads and prompts for reboot to install 2004. I'm sick of not being in control of updates. Just three hours previous to the prompts, I couldn't get any pages to load online. I now know it was MS and their auto updates. Fu-cking as-sholes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hi Clifford,

I know how you feel, there were printer driver updates showing but I kept ignoring them, then there was a cumulative update available and lo and behold, it updated my printer drivers too which I could not stop!. I haven't tested my printer yet and I hope it will be able to print okay!. :eek::eek::eek:

Reaction score
@Wolfie : you can prevent drivers from being installed automatically using the Group policy editor (gpedit.msc). Has always worked for me.

GPEDIT.jpg

GPEDIT2.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Clifford,

I know how you feel, there were printer driver updates showing but I kept ignoring them, then there was a cumulative update available and lo and behold, it updated my printer drivers too which I could not stop!. I haven't tested my printer yet and I hope it will be able to print okay!. :eek::eek::eek:
I hope so too because when I updated from 1809 to 1903 my HP Laser printer stopped working. I tried every suggestion from MS, HP and Google...the only solution that worked was reverting back to 1809.:mad:

Hi Grizzly,

thanks, but isn't that only available in Win Pro?.

View attachment 12645

True, Group Policy Editor is unavailable in Win 10 Home. You need to use some Registry editing to disable driver updates.

Reaction score
Although the gpedit.msc is not available by default on the home version, it can be activated respective installed. All it takes is a little batch file that I have attached as ZIP file. It works as I have tried it already.

Attachments

• GPEDIT_Home.zip
    379 bytes · Views: 129
Reaction score
Thanks for that but I don't think I will bother, I always make a restore point before updates anyway!.

On my main laptop, drivers are showing under optional updates and need to be ticked to install them, this wasn't the case on my main PC for some reason????. :confused::confused::confused:

1604490711210.png

Reaction score
Issue I need to keep in mind is that most Registry customizations will be removed during the twice-yearly Version Upgrades and maybe by some Build updates so I save them for reinstalling, same for the Win7/8.x Games.

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of changing things in the registry myself. It can have an adverse effect on the system if you make a mistake and make the system either unstable or simply useless!. :eek:

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of changing things in the registry myself. It can have an adverse effect on the system if you make a mistake and make the system either unstable or simply useless!. :eek:
You are right. But then we will have to admit we like to tinker with things believing we can do it better but end up screwing it up by not knowing or accepting all the ramifications of our actions or the limits of our abilities.

Reaction score
How far back must one go in Windows 10? That is to find a build that doesn't auto update to newest features. Is two years long enough? Because I can't make it one whole year before manually updating.

If I can install 1809 and be able to stop worrying about auto updates. That is what I will do.

Ask a Question