Windows 10 automatic updates - how do I suspend or delay?

Reaction score
Hi folks
My wife has an Asus laptop operating with Windows 10. However, every time she turns it on it starts to install and configure Windows programme updates which makes the laptop inoperable for anything between 15 minutes and an hour. We've reset the system to update only out of hours (at night) but this doesn't seem to have any effect.
We've previously sought advice on delaying the updates, the advice being as follows: 1. open Settings 2. click on Update and Security 3. click on Windows Update 4. Click the Advanced Options link 5. Under the 'Pause Updates' section use the drop down menu to select how long you want to delay updates.
Having tried this approach, we've found that steps 1-4 work fine but when we get to step 5 there is no 'Pause Updates' option available in the pop up box. Help !....can anyone offer advice on where I can find this option and/or advise on how to control the auto update system which seems to have a mind of its own.

Reaction score
Hi, I am running Win 10 pro and I followed the steps above and at step 5 I did have the Pause Updates option. What operating system are you running?
Annotation 2019-12-07 085237.jpg

Ask a Question