Stop Win10 auto update using limited vpn

Reaction score
I have limited bandwidth, openvpn/softether connection , Windows 10 keeps using it to downloads updates and eat (exhaust) my vpn bandwidth.
How can I tell Windows 10 to stop download from VPN, or only using one connection (network card) to use it for update?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you go to Settings > Network > Connection Properties, you can toggle the "metered connection" switch to limit background downloads.

You'll also need to make sure that in Settings > Update & Security > Advanced options, that "download updates over metered connections" is disabled.

Reaction score
If I understand VPNs, they are normally connections to one specific remote system, such as a company computer. If the updates are coming through a remote system, can the remote system be adjusted to stop that?

It sounds like you do have a second network adapter which has a normal Internet connection, it seems like the update would prefer that connection.

Reaction score
It is VPN for internet, but it is limited, My problem the Network Device Card not have "metered options" in Win10 and Win8.1, even Win10 1903 (profitional original one).
Metered is show for only Wifi and Eather net card only, not for NIC of other networks.

Ask a Question