How to stop Chrome from going into fullscreen mode

Reaction score
I'm using a Windows 10 Pro system with the 19H1 update. What I need to do is prevent Chrome from ever switching to fullscreen. There's a history to this need, but if I could prevent Chrome from going fullscreen, that would solve a long-standing problem that I have. I never use any apps in fullscreen mode, so I wouldn't miss it if I could just disable fullscreen for all apps, but my particular concern is Chrome.

Any help? Hoping that someone else has looked into this and made it happen. I did see one method on the internet, using gpedit.msc with user configuration admin templates, adding a "classic administrative template" for Chrome, but I couldn't get that one to work. It wasn't clear to me how to add an administrative template, and examples of these are hard to find. At any rate, the description assumed that the reader knew things that I don't know *smile*.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi MrDoh,

normally pressing F11 switches any web browser window to normal size, if you open it and then press F11, it should revert back to its normal size?. :)

Reaction score
Yes, that's true. But that's not really what I'm looking for...I could also use the mouse and click on the multi-window icon in the upper right hand corner of the window to get back to a normal window size. I want to prevent the initial transition to fullscreen. I've noticed now that when I use the mouse to move a window via the title bar, the window is about as likely to fullscreen as it is to move. Looks like a general flaw in Windows 10, probably a combination of that and the hardware that I have. I tend to move windows around a lot, since I keep my browser about 2/3 screen size, so I have to position other windows so that I can grab them when they're under the browser window.

At any rate, luckily I have a new mac mini that runs really well, so I'll be using that a lot until I solve this problem. Not holding my breath, and am enjoying the mac *smile*. No graphical problems with it.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Yes, Full Screen and Maximized are two different functions. The last couple versions of Windows [8/8.1 and 10] feature dragging the Title bar too far up will automatically Maximize it. It's much the same as when double-clicking the Title bar to toggle from one setting to the other. The Full Screen F11 gets rid of some of the Toolbars and toggles them back.

One other thing to try, set a window as desired then hold down the Ctrl key while closing it. Might take a couple of tries to get Windows 'trained'.

Last edited:

Ask a Question