Why NOT auto-updates when requested but when we are trying to work instead?

Reaction score
My desktop gets heavy use, as much as eighteen hours each day. I set the window for updates as 2 AM to 9 AM but MS starts pestering me later than 9 AM, when I am busiest. Each update lasts three or more hours. I can delay them hour by hour, but if I have to go to lunch or talk with a client, I Iose the use of my computer for the rest of the day.

Why can MS not load the update files while I am using the computer for other work and let me tell you when I will be AFK for a couple of hours, then do it?

For that matter, why not patch W 10 with SPxxxx.MSI files the way MS did W 7? Why do a complete re-install for every bug fix?

At any rate 18995 is working perfectly. Maybe MS will let it alone for a while.

Reaction score
My desktop gets heavy use, as much as eighteen hours each day. I set the window for updates as 2 AM to 9 AM but MS starts pestering me later than 9 AM, when I am busiest. Each update lasts three or more hours. I can delay them hour by hour, but if I have to go to lunch or talk with a client, I Iose the use of my computer for the rest of the day.

If you are talking about "Active Hours", you need to set it for the time you expect to be using your computer, not for the time you want it to update.

Why can MS not load the update files while I am using the computer for other work and let me tell you when I will be AFK for a couple of hours, then do it?

If you set your active hours appropriately, Windows will download and install the updates, then alert you to allow or schedule the restart, if necessary.

For that matter, why not patch W 10 with SPxxxx.MSI files the way MS did W 7? Why do a complete re-install for every bug fix?

I believe Microsoft is moving in that direction with the next update.

At any rate 18995 is working perfectly. Maybe MS will let it alone for a while.

Insider Preview 20H1. Sounds promising.

Ben

Ask a Question