I hate automatic updates

Reaction score
It's a good thing I don't normally use my machine for production work. If I did I couldn't use Windows 10.

I literally just went to get something to eat and came back to my machine installing updates. I've tried to keep up with updates so they would install on my watch. This one got away from me and automatically installed itself. I'm already pissed I can't stop this behavior, and has me paranoid to the extent I'm afraid to even start another project. The first time I loose work over automatic updates, I will loose it for MS. This shit is ridiculous, we need the ability to keep our machines from rebooting.

Microsoft if you are reading this, you are burning bridges. And as soon as there is a viable alternative, people will leave you. Keep burning the bridge and the viable alternative will come sooner than you think possible.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As Thomas Paine said
"These are the times that try men's souls."

Personally, I've had one foot on a banana peel and the other on Linux Mint 18 "Sarah" - MATE
I kinda like the MATE desktop https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=220
Although recently I've been testing the new KDE Beta which I think I could easily get used to
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=224
Both seem to be pretty Windowy in their look and feel and are pretty customizeable.
The KDE Beta comes with built in mail client as well as a productivity suite so you don't have to download and install them after the fact, but......
It's still a "BETA" release so a little glitchy.

Reaction score
I'm kinda deeply rooted in the Windows ecosystem. It saddens me at the thought of needing to migrate. It puts me in mind of moving to a new place that speaks a different language. All because you can no longer live where you were.

Reaction score
Clifford its caught a few members off guard. I sure hope NASA isn't using Windows 10 Enterprise.
You will have to go into the settings and choose a time that's convenient for you and you know your PC won't be in use. Like 3:00 - 4:AM. so it can install the updates. I assume you don't work nights. LOL

Reaction score
That setting is called active hours and you can't set it for more than 12 hours. And I don't have a concrete schedule and sit at my machine any time of the day.

Reaction score
Yes! I know, I do the same. I have my active hours set for 6AM-11PM I know that's greater than 12 hrs but I haven't had any unexpected restarts during that time period. Worth a try nothing to loose.
another option from MS help is:
Get custom Restart options from the sign-in screen:
  1. On the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power > Restart (in the lower-right corner of the screen).
  2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  3. After your PC restarts, select a startup setting from the list of options by pressing the corresponding number on your keyboard.
I haven't tried this option yet and it's currently greyed out until reset. I don't understand why MS are so secretive about update options.

Reaction score
The numeric list is PC active hours. if you don't use the sign in screen, you can start in safe mode to accomplish the Restart options in Advanced Options.

Reaction score
I'll give it a go. I can get to the sign-in screen by logging out. I just don't use it, my machine boots straight to Desktop.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I got caught off-guard by this last night too. I had my PC on whilst I had some CAD work on screen, which I wanted to resume this morning. Frustratingly, the PC had rebooted overnight! Of course, the work was saved - but all of the other Windows I had open to read data whilst working had vanished.

Reaction score
Apple too, are a PITA as iOS updates are automatically downloaded whether you want them or not. Then they constantly pester you with on-screen reminders to install the update (bugs and all). At least with W10 Pro you can delay the inevitable.

Ask a Question