Automatic updates

Reaction score
I have a pre-paid mobile broadband and I have a problem with updates as they are costing me a fortune in data usage. This week alone I have lost about $80 data credits due to this . As I am a pensioner on limited income these updates are forcing me to revert to my old laptop with Windows 7. Is there any way to disable the auto updates or will I have no alternative but to dispose of my new laptop and revert to Windows 7 ?

Reaction score
Nothing to add there! Don't get in a panic. As in Wolfies first link, a metered connection choice is your answer.
I and many others have constantly given feedback and complaints, regarding the Windows 10 update system - nothing changes (except cosmetically!)
I am also on a small pension, tied up with a very slow connection. This has, to my loss, caused me to bail out of the insider downloads, among losing many other interesting functions.
Windows 10 is great, so don't be too hasty in abandoning it!

Reaction score
And further to @davehc's comments, check the "Choose how updates are delivered" and make sure it is set to "Off". :) (Settings > Updates & Security > Advanced options > Choose how updates are delivered)

choosing updates.PNG

Reaction score
Reaction score
Did you click on [Manage known Networks] ?
click on the network then choose [Properties]
set [Set as metered connection] to "ON"

this works on the PRO version of Windows 10, I do not know how it works on the HOME version you may have.

Reaction score
Did you click on [Manage known Networks] ?
click on the network then choose [Properties]
set [Set as metered connection] to "ON"

this works on the PRO version of Windows 10, I do not know how it works on the HOME version you may have.

Reaction score
When you select "WiFi", you should see your own connection.'eg

Capture.PNG

You click this and follow the instructions to control your metered connection.

Ask a Question