Auto Updates just crash

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I am very new, as this is my first question. I am 73 years old and not very Techy! Since around September 2017 when windows 10 auto updates my computer everything seems to be fine, until we get to the Blue screen and the notification that says "Working on Updates". When the spinning doughnut gets to 75% it closes to what I assume is an auto reboot. The screen goes black, but never comes back on. I left it over half an hours, and eventually had to do a cold boot. When it resumed I was back to the blue screen and it continued to 81% and the doughnut just seized. Again after a cold boot it tells me "It is returning to a previous version" This is 1709.ISO. I have had Microsoft remote technicians take over my computer 5 times since this started, telling me it will be ok when it is rebooted. This is now taking up half my day going through this only to return to the previous version. I have a computer which meets all the criteria required. Your help Please. Mike

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
What's the exact make/model of your PC?

have a computer which meets all the criteria required
That is a misleading statement (IMO). All that means is that your system meets the minimum requirements (hardware) for the OS to work. This doesn't mean there are drivers for it from the PC or parts vendors.

Reaction score
Thank You for your prompt reply, as I said I had the Microsoft technicians check my system over and the software. They told me on five separate occasions. The last guy left the following icons on my desktop. "Update.bat", "Reset.bat", "Windows.ISO 1709.ISO" . If these mean anything to you, Thank You

Reaction score
Hi Further to my last, if it helps Running Windows 10 Home addition, O S Build 15063.850. My Processor Intel(R) Core (TM I 7 3770s CPU @ 3.10 GHz 3.10GHz. Ram 6 GB, System Type, 64 BIT O.S> x64 Base Processor.
I hope this helps, it doesn't mean much to me, Thank You

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Not getting where with make/model...lets try this. In the cortana search field (aka explorer search), type system info, the copy/paste that in your next reply.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, hope this is what you require
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model CM6330_CM6630_CM6730_CM6830_M11AA-8
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770S CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0704, 17/04/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.15063.850"
User Name desktop\MikeandBren
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.70 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.87 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.63 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.47 GB
Page File Space 960 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Reaction score
It's trying to update you to Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.xxx)
When Windows Update fails, which is not uncommon, download the update manually.
You might actually have it on you desktop: "Windows.ISO 1709.ISO".
Double-click it & a window should open. Now double-click setup.exe.

Do you have any anti-virus running, i.e. Norton or McAfee?
Uninstall them before you try to update. You don't need them, you don't want them. Years ago they were good, not any more. Windows 10 Defender (part of Windows) works just as well.

Ask a Question