Windows Auto Updates

Reaction score
Whoever thought that automatic updates were a good idea? This is really a bit of a rant about what a reall BAD idea this is and how I have managed to get around it with some help from these forums.

I have a top end HP laptop which came with Windows 10 installed
So I had one automatic update destroy my bluetooth conectivity which I spent an evening fixing.
Then the next automatic update destroyed my sound system which I spent another evening fixing
Then worst of all I had an automatic update destoy windows and all I got was a blue screen on startup. As I had not got a recent savepoint I then soent a week rebuilding my PC from scratch and re-installing all the extra programs and email and saved passwords.

I bought a new PC to do some work on NOT TO SPEND LOTS OF TIME FIXING

So the solution I first tried was to make my network a metered network which does stop the updates BUT it seemed to cause the CPU to use 30% of its time trying to do updates.

I then found the windows update service wuauserv - Windows update service (with some help from these forums) and stopped it.

So I now never get windows updates but at least microsoft dont keep breaking my PC.

If anyone has a better solution then please let me know but I really DO NOT want to spend hours fixing my PC

Reaction score
I won't contradict you. I also find the updates irritating. But I have used the "change active hours" facility to at least control it.
However, I am drawn to your comment regarding updates "breaking" your computer. Believe me, since the innovation of Windows 10, this has not happened to me on a regular basis., using several different computers. I have had the occasional hiccup, partly my own fault, but nothing which could not be resolved in a short time.
I think avid helpers on these forums would agree that, sometimes, it is very difficult to diagnose and help members with update problems, when it cannot be easily simulated.
But, no disrespect, perhaps you could have a closer examination of why this should be happening to you..

Reaction score
If you have Windows Pro, you can use the Group Policy Editor to to notify for download and notify for install, like previous versions. You'll have to google how to do it. If you have home version, it's much more difficult, and I don't recommend it.

Reaction score
There are new features added with the last large update. If you drill down through the Advanced options (there are several) you can defer certain updates and even put the whole lot of for 35 days.

Worthwhile having a look , also, through the "delivery" options.

Reaction score
With updates disabled or delayed, I think MS can and will download security updates.

Reaction score
Absolutely. But MS have met us a little way. At least now we can control, up to a certain point, when we want them.

Reaction score
This really annoying. They dont give tue option to update, updates are mandatory. There a way to kill the compulsory updates?

T_J

Reaction score
As I had not got a recent savepoint I then soent a week rebuilding my PC from scratch and re-installing all the extra programs and email and saved passwords.

My only suggestion is that you might want to get some type of Disk Imaging Software. I used a $70 program from 2001 to 2012 (Drive Image 5 on 2000 Dell triple-boot W98se/2k/XP) and a free program from 2012 to now (Backup and Restore (Windows 7) on 2012 Dell). I recently restored an image on my 2012 W10 Dell in 30 minutes due to my McAfee / 1709 problem (McAfee problem is fixed now).

Last edited:

Ask a Question