SOLVED Auto Update

Reaction score
I am so mad, am only a pensioner and after recharging last week, I found that auto update had used 94% of my data and now I have to recharge again. I cannot afford this and trying to find a simple way to turn off the auto update has proved fruitless...I am not happy!!!!

Reaction score
Maybe this will help. I've never used it but have heard it helps.

How, When, and Why to Set a Connection as Metered on Windows 10
Windows 10 is designed for PCs with unlimited Internet connections, and it normally uses as much of your download and upload bandwidth as it wants without asking. Setting a connection as metered puts you back in control, and it’s essential on some types of connections.

You’ll always want to do this on connections with data caps, mobile hotspots, satellite Internet connections, dial-up connections, and anything else. It gives you more control over your connection and prevents Windows from gobbling bandwidth. On the Creators Update, Microsoft now easily allows you to set a wired Ethernet connection as metered, too.

<snip>
To read more follow the link above.

Reaction score
I am so mad, am only a pensioner and after recharging last week, I found that auto update had used 94% of my data and now I have to recharge again. I cannot afford this and trying to find a simple way to turn off the auto update has proved fruitless...I am not happy!!!!
Thanks, will try it!

Reaction score
Metered is only good if your on a WiFi connection, the OP Trish doesn't mention her internet connection. I believe MS are looking into circumventing the metered connection too.
You can't win, even with updates deferred, they will download at some point. I can sympathize with Trish, I go through the same thing (data) every month. I use Win 10 for about 7-10 days a month then Windows 7 WiFi on my laptop until the end of the month.
I refuse to let MS take control of life or my wallet.

Hmm! after reading the article (should have done first) cifford posted, I see the Creator update supposedly has tweaked the metered connection for DSL We'll see.

Last edited:

Ask a Question