Automatic repair on loop

Reaction score
version 10.0.10240 Had an update [not requested] that forced use of 'automatic repair' [previously, when didn't get right to password use, would just restart and all would be fine]. Now always get: Preparing Automatic Repair; Diagnosing your PC; Did not start correctly: Restart [repeatedly]; Advanced Options: Troubleshoot [Reset doesn't work]; none of 6 other options work [image recovery; startup repair; command prompt -- best bet, but tries of 'start' and 'login/out' got nowhere; startup settings -- when pressed 'restart' did NOT activate the 7 options; go back to previous build -- none available.
So my previously functioning system does not allow for any startup -- just infinite loop of same options.
Assume requires some specific command to fix problem, but I am not skilled enough to know what command is. All suggestions appreciated as have totally useless OS at the moment. [For weeks have tried all combinations of everything could think of and what commands came to mind, but nothing works.]

Reaction score
If the troubleshooting options (e.g. Command Prompt, System Restore) are not available, booting from a Windows 10 USB and accessing the Windows Recovery Environment from there would be your best bet. You can create a bootable USB using the Media Creation Tool.

PS. If you are able to resurrect the system, updating (if possible) to a newer, supported version of Windows 10 would be advisable - build 10240 (version 1507) has been out of support for over five years now.

Reaction score
Try rebooting ehilst holding down the shift key. Hopefully this will open to s menu here you can boot into safe mode and either sort out the problem or save your essential data to a safe place

Reaction score
Holding shift key didn't work, and when tried boot with Windows 10 USB my laptop wouldn't recognize the USB [but had previous trouble with that] so burned to dvd [that has always been recognized], but when asked to move desired files into location for burning I chose: boot; efi; sources; support -- but did not include autorun, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi, setup. When tried to boot that dvd disc, it wouldn't boot [but when eliminated all boot options except the dvd then laptop kept trying to boot it until finally gave up and reverted to standard harddrive for booting]. Should I have included one or more of those last four in the 'burn' request, or should I have not included one or more of the first four [boot;efi;sources;support]?
I know this is very weird, but unfortunately it is what I have to work with.
Have appreciated all your suggestions, but am now thinking that what may only fix it is some complicated Command -- hoping for the best and any other suggestions always appreciated.

Reaction score
Have tried a repair tool [burned it to disc], but didn't work; know there are others to try, but would anyone know of way to rescue my files in case this is never fixed?

Reaction score
The repair tool that I have already tried is called "Restoro". Anyone know of a better one?

Ask a Question