Crashed, now in infinite automatic repair loop

Reaction score
So my HP Envy crashed last night, for whatever reason. I waited until this morning to turn it on again. Since then I've gotten the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME blue screen, and the computer restarts with "preparing automatic repair" After that, it's just a black screen. And it stays a black screen. Forever.

How screwed am I?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try boot the computer from the Windows 10 installation media.
On the second page after booting following the keyboard and language page you should see a link that says "Repair your PC"
Click that and use the Troubleshooting -> Advanced Troubleshooting icons to get to where you can attempt a System Restore to a point in time prior to the problem.
You might also want to try using the "Startup Settings" icon to attempt booting into Safe Mode first in case your problem is a bad driver.
At least you could then use Safe Mode boot to back up your critical data to external media, if it will boot into Safe Mode.

Ask a Question