Windows 10 crashed during updates and programs were lost

Reaction score
(1) How do I backup my Laptop HP 250 Notepad so that I don't lose my programs again. My files were recovered, but I had to re-download Lightroom and Photoshop Elements. I still have other photographic programs to re-download and the thought of having a crash again and having to go through the trauma is daunting.

Has anyone had any experience of this and could recommend a backup suitable for my needs that is not complicated?

I am not a techie, but I have a brain.

(2) Anyone familiar with Lightroom, as my Lightroom photos are now in My Pictures and are marked "Lightroom Photo Storage". I would like instructions on how to get those back into Lightroom.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Yes, I use Macrium Reflect. the free addition will create Images of your Disk/SSD that can be restore to the exact moment they were created. the paid version will allow incremental and differential back up and a File and folder back ups and scheduling of automatic back ups .
Be sure to create and test the USB recovery disk.
Be sure to create a complete Image of your OS Disk/SSD don't fool around with partition images do the complete disk/SSD then create another image of your C:\ Partition this will cover you for any disaster.
For Windows only issues just restore the C:\ Image, if your not able to boot then Restore your Complete Disk/SSD image.
I do Incremental back ups of my C:\ Partition daily that way I can go back by days for about 30 days. Comes in handy as sometimes you install something and its a couple of days or so before you find you have an issue.
You should develop a back up strategy that suites your systems and eternal storage capacity. Goggle will help you figure out what you need to do beyond the main two images I discussed in this reply.

Reaction score
Thank you Clint.

This seems as it is just I want. Before I investigate the purchase, can you tell me if Macrium Reflect is a one off purchase or will I have to pay a yearly subscription.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Reaction score
Thank you Clint.

This seems as it is just I want. Before I investigate the purchase, can you tell me if Macrium Reflect is a one off purchase or will I have to pay a yearly subscription.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

It's free with limited use, I bought a 4 pack of pro back in 2012 this covered me from Version 5 through Version 6. I just upgraded to version 7 this year at a discounted upgrade price. Also search for discount coupons they put these out from time to time with as much as 40% off.
There support Forum is quite good and MR technician are observing and will help or advise you to submit a support ticket for more complicated issues. Myself I have never had any issues until Window 10 CU update Broke the scheduler features. MR had a work around within hours and moved to Scheduler 2.0 in Version 7 There were some issues with version 7 for some people, with the first release but all got worked out pretty quickly. Quality tech support is really a plus.
I had used Acronis for several years before UEFI, Acronis took 3 plus years to sort it out and actually be able to create a restorable Image in UEFI/GPT mode, and no tech support at all. Tthis is how I found out about MR they had it figured out back then. For a year or 2 they were the only ones that did have figured out.
So I move my whole back up local strategy to their product. In the past they have only asked for us to pay again for new versions 5 to 6 and 6 to 7 and they do have upgrade pricing. Again goggle for coupons these can save you some serious money

Reaction score
Thanks Clint. You said that you got technical support from MR which is useful. For instance, can you keep the old version for years without upgrading and still get support? Of course once there is a problem you will have no choice than to upgrade.

What are your thoughts on your own backup. I saw a video today on backing up hard drives using StarTech 4 Bay SATA USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Decking Station and a 3TB 7200 RPM HDD. It seemed easy to use and the young man that was using it was very pleased with it. It was just a matter of plugging it in.

I liked the idea, but wonder what happened if there was a problem and as I am not technical what would I do?

I would appreciate your views on the for and against of the two and why you would choose one from the other in order that I can finally make up my mind.

Sorry to both you further, but I need to make the right decision with back up in case there is a malfunction.

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to your further response.

Reaction score
My actual set up is I have 3 TB internal drive and 3 TB External for my notebook I use a WD Passport 4TB, I like WD drive's personally. for 3.5" external hard drives I like Fantom brand name I've always had good luck with them last 5 years or longer. I used to use and still do on some of my desktops use eSATA Connections These drives run just like internal drives and just as fast. So now USB 3.0 is just as fast as eSATA pretty much and reliable so as I upgrade computer I'll switch them over to USB 3.0 The last few External drives I got have both USB 3.0 and eSATA.
I keep 6 months of Images of my OS Drive/SSD actually all my OD Drives are not SSD. and I create daily incrementals I have a group of files I consider very important I keep them all in a folder Important files and make a full back up twice a day. My other data drives get backed up weekly with a full back up once a month. Its been my experience that data drives seldom fail and never fail suddenly so they need less backing up. I keep any files I'm working with in my important files folder. All of these back ups are scheduled and run automatically. I also use a cloud back up that runs real time. On my Business computer I run two cloud back ups one real time and one daily. I'm ready and can restore anytime only losing at most 4 hours of work and usually my real time Cloud back up covers that. Cloud back up is pretty fast uploading after the initial upload then very slow to download should you need to restore. However usually at most you have to restore a couple of data files so it pretty quick for that. All my other computer have real time cloud back up in addition to the local back ups.
You have to decided for your self how important you data and work is. I can tell you that as a power user mine is very important. And I do things I shouldn't sometimes so its been real helpful to me that if I screw something up I can get back with out a lot of trouble shooting and trying things and worrying about it. I just restore and carry on.

Ask a Question