Computer crashed when electricity did - now windows not working

Reaction score
On my desktop Dell PC, upgraded to 10 on Friday morning, been using all weekend no problems. On Monday we had a winter wonderland, was checking snow history when electricity went off momentarily. PC shut down. I had perhaps 5 windows open at the time.

PC powered back with message that windows had not shut down properly, it would repair, said it couldn't do, and since then will only start , and say restoring your previous version of windows....over and over again.

I got on this laptop,downloaded correct 32 bit version of 10, burnt disk from iso. can boot into that disk no problems. Have run all the recovery options. Reset - no changes made. Repair startup - no can do. Restore previous - cannot do either to 10 or 7. have run out of options. Only option I can do is format the disk - is there any other avenue?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like that outage may have corrupted some critical components of your install or even possibly damaged your hard disk.
Do you have the resources to remove that drive from the machine and attach it to another?
If so, then I would suggest using that native Check Disk utility on the second machine against that drive and see if it produces any information.
From and elevated command prompt type
chkdsk X: /R (where X: is the drive letter for the problem hard drive you've attached to the second machine)
It takes a long time and you may be asked to force an unmounts of the drive, just respond with a "Y" and let it run.
At the end you should see what it managed to determine, pay particular attention to any bits in bad sectors information.

Ask a Question