Computer crashed after update

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just recently installed the new update and now my computer won't boot up. I can get to the blue troubleshoot screen but can't get to a restore point before this update. Automatic repair doesn't work and there is no safe mode option. I can get command prompt though but have no idea what to type too see the problem. Also there is UEFI firmware settings tab which i dont know about.

Thanks tristan

P.S computer is a hp laptop ultrabook i think but don't know much more than that

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you can see the Advanced Troubleshooting screen, is there an ICON link that says.... "Startup Settings -> Change Windows startup behavior"?
IF so that should get you to the safe mode options screen

Reaction score
I used bootrec.exe in command promt and did the 4 versions and it found another operating system version. It was called windows 10 home, so i tried launching it and it did a scan and repair that got stuck. Then did a hard reset and was able to choose safe mode but it was just a black screen. I could move my mouse though. But i have ended up back at the blue screen

Reaction score
There is no startup settings tab either just system restore, system image recovery, automatic repair, command promt and UEFI firmware settings. Also have refresh your pc, reset your pc, use another operating system or continue

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The UEFI Firmware settings is just going to ask you to reboot and launch your system setup utility (BIOS) where....
You can, examine your boot device options (typically on a UEFI device is set to "Windows Boot Manager") make sure that the hard disk controller mode is set properly (generally AHCI but could be RAID, SATA, etc.) and make sure your boot device priority is pointing at your first hard disk (typically HDD 0, assuming more than one and disk 0 is where your boot configuration files are located and contains the "Active" partition).
Can you get back to safe mode with just the black screen and cursor moving around??
IF so, can you then use Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination to launch Task Manager?

Reaction score
With UEFI i did a restore to default settings for some bios or something. Dont really know what im doing haha. But then the blue screen had more options and had start up options i chose safe mode but it gets stuck in automatic repair

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
At this stage of the game, I'm not at all certain you'll be able to rescue the installation, even if you manage to get into safe mode, but....
One last thing your might try, when you get to the command prompt.... type
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
reboot the computer and start tapping the F8 key and see if you get the old legacy boot screen where you can select Safe Mode.

Reaction score
Well i got the old screen but when i choose safe mode it just starts automatic repair which loops. Can i re-install windows from a flash drive and keep my old files? If not ill try going back to windows 8 and if that doesn't work it looks like tough luck

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to backup any critical data now.... to external media of some type, preferably a USB Hard Drive.
Generally under the option to "Reset" there is another option to keep your files but frankly, I wouldn't trust it, I'd do it manually if I want to save any important files (docs, music, pictures, etc.)
Re-installing Windows 10 shouldn't be a problem as long as your original install was already activated before it started going nuts, but doing so might result in a loss of your data and will definitely mean the loss of all programs.
Going back to Windows 8, if that is an option might be a good choice, but I still wouldn't consider trying it without copying off all my important data first..... and you still might find that some of your programs will need to be reinstalled to work properly.

Reaction score
Ok cheers for that. One last thing how do i back up my files as i can't get to the desktop?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just use xcopy from the command prompt to copy off your profile directory which contains most if not all your docs, pictures, music, etc.
OR
Physically remove the hard drive and connect it to another working computer
OR
Boot from a Linux distro Live CD and copy it off that way.

Ask a Question